It is important at the time you hire your lawyer, or soon after, to tell your lawyer how often you would like to be updated on your legal matter. If you find that you are not talking with your lawyer as often as you would like, arrange a meeting to discuss this. At this meeting, indicate your desire to be contacted on a routine, specified basis. Hopefully, this will resolve the issue. If not, consider whether to fire your lawyer and hire someone else to represent you.

If you decide to fire your lawyer, you should write a letter that says you no longer want their legal services. Also, request a statement of your account. You may owe the lawyer money for services already performed. To find another lawyer, you can call the South Carolina Bar Lawyer Referral Service at (803) 799-7100.

If a reasonable amount of time has passed since you telephoned or wrote your lawyer and he has not responded, you may wish to file a complaint with the Commission on Lawyer Conduct , the agency set up by the South Carolina Supreme Court to hear complaints against lawyers. You can reach the Commission on Lawyer Conduct by dialing (803) 734-2038. Its address is P.O. Box 12159, Columbia, SC 29211.

This information was prepared to give you some general information on the law. It is not intended as legal advice about any particular problem. If you have questions about the law you should consult a lawyer. If you do not know a lawyer, you can call the South Carolina Bar Lawyer Referral Service weekdays between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. at (803) 799-7100.