The South Carolina Bar Senior Lawyers Division is the section of the South Carolina Bar which all Bar members who are at least 60 years of age shall be members.
The Division will conduct lunch and learn programs throughout the state on competency issues, career transitioning, health and retirement, limited practice issues, closing/selling a practice and technology. To recommend potential speakers or other topics or to join the Membership Committee, contact the SLD Membership Committee Chair David Cantrell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Division is exploring travel destinations for its members. For additional information, please contact Nancy Layman at email@example.com or (803) 776-6999.
- Continue to conduct a seminar, reception and Executive Council meeting in conjunction with the S.C. Bar Convention.
- Arrange for members to be sworn in to practice before the United States Supreme Court and the United States Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces in Washington, D.C.
- Continue to encourage active participation in the Supreme Court of S.C. Lawyer Mentoring program.
- Continue to coordinate with local county bar associations on participating and promoting the Law Day Essay Contest. In addition, each statewide essay winner will be recognized and presented with a monetary contribution, medal and certificate, with the overall winner to be acknowledged at the S.C. Bar Convention.
- Continue to coordinate efforts with the USC School of Law Pro Bono program by promoting and participating in the S.C. Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts project, E-Help at your Desk and a variety of other potential programs.
- Continue to promote participation in the Center for International Legal Studies program in cooperation with law faculties in Eastern Europe and the former republics of the Soviet Union.
- Continue to explore travel destinations for members of the Division.
- Continue to support and recognize the Nifty Fifty Honorees.
- Continue to host a Fall Symposium to include networking opportunities and an educational seminar.
- Identify and pursue methods to successfully market and enhance the benefits of being a member of Division.
- Provide regional networking opportunities for members of the Division.
- Produce an electronic newsletter to be distributed through the Division listserv and posted on the Bar website.
- Conduct statewide programs on topics to include but not limited to, competency issues, succession plans, health and retirement, technology, etc.
- Explore possible status change and license fee reduction for senior lawyers and retired judges within the S.C. Bar.