Section is actively involved in shaping and revising the Uniform Probate Code. It sponsors a CLE seminar at the Bar convention; monitors state and federal legislative developments; encourages members to become certified specialists; monitors unauthorized practice of law issues; and provides speakers for civic and community groups.
- New Legislation - study, propose, and monitor new probate legislation.
- CLE Seminar - sponsor CLE seminar at annual Bar convention; consider sponsorship/support of other seminars.
- Website - continue to update the Section website.
- Probate Judges and Elder Law Committee - continue to promote interaction with Probate Judges and Elder Law Committee. Explore ways to increase communication between Section Council and Association of Probate Judges.
- Section Involvement - develop benefits to attract and retain members; include members in Section Council activities, including the planning of legislative initiatives and CLEs, through the use of the Section website, listserv, and other means of communication
- Public Service - provide education to members of the public regarding wills and probate & estate matters, update Law Line information on the SC Bar website.
- Article V - monitor progression of proposed legislation.
- Uniform Gifts to Minors Act (UGMA)/Uniform Transfers to Minors Act (UTMA) - study and take possible action on updating statute.
- Robert P. Wilkins Probate Estate and Trust Award - solicit nominations for award to be presented in the summer of 2017.
Uniform Veterans Guardianship Act
S.C. Uniform Power of Attorney Act
Tax and Estate Planning Study Groups
Advisory for Accountants and Attorneys on Enhanced Conservation Tax Incentives
What Lawyers Should Know About Organ and Tissue Donation in South Carolina