This Committee works to protect the residents of South Carolina from the Unauthorized Practice of Law.
The ongoing goals of the Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee are to maintain the integrity of the profession and to advocate for the protection of the public by:
- Facilitating delivery of unauthorized practice of law complaints to the appropriate authorities;
- Monitoring the efforts of law enforcement and officers of the court in the prosecution of those engaged in the unauthorized practice of law;
- Cooperating with all relevant state agencies and interest groups;
- Participating in study and drafting of proposals that enhance comprehension of unauthorized practice of law issues; and,
- Participating, where appropriate, in legislative advocacy.
The UPL Committee promotes education of Bar members and the public about unauthorized practice of law in South Carolina and offers the below resources and materials to our members. If you, your firm or group would like to arrange for one of our members to give a presentation on this topic, please contact Eileen Carrouth.
Resources for Bar Members
- Guidelines for the Utilization of Paralegal Services (pdf)
- SC Lawyer March 2019 | You Best Protect Your Neck: A Guide to Preventing Your Non-Attorney Staff from Engaging in UPL
- Presention by UPL Committee November 2019 | The Unauthorized Practice of Law in South Carolina (pdf for download)
File a complaint about unauthorized practice of law in South Carolina by filling out the below form. You may also download a printable version of the form here and either mail to SC Bar, Attn. Unauthorized Practice of Law, P.O. Box 608, Columbia, SC 29202 or save and email to firstname.lastname@example.org.