1. What is the Course of Study on South Carolina Law?
The Course of Study (COS) is a series of eleven (11) video modules on major areas of South Carolina law. Modules are designed to acquaint SC Bar admission applicants with some of the major ways that SC law differs from national, regional, or federal practice. Each video is taught by experienced South Carolina practitioners and leading academics. The modules run from 30-50 minutes in length, may be viewed in any order, and do not need to be viewed in one sitting. Written materials do not accompany the videos. At the end of each module, applicants will be prompted to answer a three-question test composed of True-False or multiple choice questions. Questions are randomly generated from a larger pool of questions. In order to successfully complete each module and move on to the next module, the applicant must answer all three questions correctly. Applicants will have three opportunites (3) to correctly answer all three questions. Failure to answer all three questions correctly will mean that the applicant must re-watch the video module and answer new questions. Ultimately, the applicant must view and successfully answer the questions for all eleven modules. Successful completion of all eleven modules is a requirement for admission to practice law in South Carolina.
2. How do I access the Course of Study modules?
Once the South Carolina Supreme Court Office of Bar Admissions accepts your Application for Admission, your contact information will be provided to the SC Bar. The SC Bar will create an account for you, which will include a unique Username and Password. The Office of Bar Admissions will provide you your Username and Password and a link to the SC Bar COS home page. You will be able to use your Username and Password to log into your account so that you can register for and access the COS video modules.
3. Is there a charge for viewing the COS modules?
No, the modules are free.
4. Once I have registered for (ie., “purchased”) one or more module(s), how long before I can view it?
Please allow up to 24 hours for modules to load into your “classroom.”
5. What is my deadline for completing the Course of Study?
The Office of Bar Admissions will notify applicants when proof of completion of the COS must be received by that office.
6. How do I provide notification to the Office of Bar Admissions that I have successfully completed the COS?
Once you have completed all eleven (11) modules you must notify the SC Bar at email@example.com that you have successfully completed the COS. The SC Bar will then verify that you have completed the COS and will certify to the Office of Bar Admissions that you have completed the COS. After it has received certification that you have completed the COS and have completed all other requirements for admission, the Office of Bar Admissions will notify you that you are eligible to be sworn-in.
7. Who do I contact if I have questions about log-in, or the registration/purchase process?
For these questions, contact the SC Bar at firstname.lastname@example.org. The Bar’s offices are open from 9am-5pm, Monday through Friday. Questions will be answered in the order they are received. You will receive an answer by no later than the end of the next business day. Please provide a day time phone number.
8. Who do I contact if I have technical questions relating to module streaming, technical difficulties with module loading or launching, testing or re-testing, or retrieval of Certificates of Completion?
For these questions, contact the Customer Service Department at Peach New Media at 1-866-702-3278, or email@example.com. Technical support is available 24/7.
9. Who do I contact if I have questions about Bar admission requirements, deadlines, or swearing-in dates or ceremonies?
For these questions, contact the Office of Bar Admissions at 803-734-1080, or visit www.sccourts.org. Click on Bar Admissions. The Office of Bar Admissions accepts calls between 9am and 2pm, Monday through Friday, excluding State holidays.