Stacy E. Thompson, Esquire
Updated since the release of the Third Edition in 2016, Social Security Disability Cases in South Carolina - Basic Case Evaluation and Management, Fourth Edition by Stacy E. Thompson provides a basic overview of the different social security disability case determinations made by the Social Security Administration. The publication is a simple, how-to of disability cases, with descriptions of the types of cases encountered, an outline of the five-step evaluation process utilized by the Social Security Administration, and a discussion of the Listings of Impairments and the Grids.
For those new to the practice of Social Security Disability, this publication will provide an overview on how to conduct your initial case evaluation, give you tips on how to obtain relevant information from your client, and help you prepare your client and your case for the hearing before the Social Security Administration. Relevant and commonly used Social Security rulings and case law are also included to provide additional insight into the case determination. New to the Fourth Edition are sections regarding the new Rules of Conduct for Representatives, a section on the role of paralegals in social security cases and updated summaries of the Social Security Rulings.
The purchase of this publication, entitles the purchaser to downloadable copies of the forms found in the book. Sample forms included are: a client interview form, a sample fee agreement, authorization to release medical records (HIPAA compliant), authorization to release school and attorney records, a pre-hearing checklist, sample Pre-Hearing Briefs, and a pre-hearing letter to a client. Also included are references to forms found on the Social Security Administration Website.
Summary of Contents:
- Chapter 1: Definitions
- Chapter 2: The Disability Application Process
- Chapter 3: Types of Disability Benefits
- Chapter 4: Standard of Review
- Chapter 5: The Electronic File and Electronic Services
- Chapter 6: Case Evaluation
- Chapter 7: Initial Client Interview/Determining Representation
- Chapter 8: Getting the Information You Need
- Chapter 9: Preparation for the Hearing
- Chapter 10: Issues in Hearing Preparation
- Chapter 11: At the Hearing
- Chapter 12: Handling Cases Involving Minor Children
- Chapter 13: Following a Favorable Decision
- Chapter 14: Appeals Council
- Chapter 15: Federal Court Appeals
- Chapter 16: Payment Issues/Attorney Fees
- Chapter 17: Ethical Issues
- Chapter 18: Role of the Paralegal in Social Security Disability Cases
- Downloadable Sample Forms