This program also qualifies for 6.0 Bankruptcy specialty credit hours.
Attorneys: Early Bird $250; Regular $300 (after 9/29)
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Berkeley County Master-in-Equity Dale Van Slambrook has put together a practical and scholarly program featuring a distinguished faculty of experienced practitioners and judges who will share their insights on key areas of practice in South Carolina’s equity courts. This year’s program continues to emphasize the theme of “best practice” in equity court by exploring ways to make our courts of equity more efficient and effective. Topics include practice under the new Clementa C. Pinckney Uniform Partition of Heirs’ Property Act, litigation in road closure cases, guidance when service is by publication, advice on e-filing in equity court, tax sales, guidance from Justice John Few on thorny evidence and proof issues in equity court, and as always, Steve Spitz’s equity case law update. This program is a mandatory judicial CLE for the equity bench, so if your practice includes equity matters, you won’t want to miss this important, powerful, and most of all practical, day of instruction, discussion and networking!
This seminar is an (intermediate) level program.
8:30 a.m. Registration
8:55 a.m. Welcome and Opening Remarks
Hon. Dale E. Van Slambrook, Master-In-Equity
9 a.m. Access to Justice
Robin Wheeler, SC Bar Pro Bono Director
9:15 a.m. Service by Publication
John S. Nichols, Bluestein Nichols Thompson & Delgado, LLC
9:45 a.m. Break
10 a.m. Litigation Required in Road Closure Cases
Joseph Kershaw Spong, Sowell Gray Robinson Stepp & Laffitte, LLC
10:45 a.m. Evidence and Proof
Hon. George C. James Jr., Supreme Court of South Carolina
11:45 p.m. Lunch (on your own)
1 p.m. Partition Actions under the Clementa C. Pinckney Uniform Partition of Heirs' Property Act
Richard B. Ness, Ness & Jett, LLC
James Martin Harvey Jr., Harvey & Kulmala
Susan Stewart, Vice President/Counsel, Commonwealth Land Title Insurance Company, Fidelity National Title Insurance
1:45 p.m. E-filing
Kevin Brown, Rogers, Townsend and Thomas, P.C.
2:30 p.m. Break
2:45 p.m. Tax Sales
Dean A. Hayes, Holler Garner Corbett Gilchrist Hayes & Mason
John S. Kay, Hutchens Law Firm, LLP
3:45 p.m. Equity Law Update
Stephen A. Spitz, Stevens & Lee
4:45 p.m. Adjourn
All registrations must be pre-paid. Cancellation & Refund Policy: Refunds, less $25 administrative fee, will be made for cancellations received in writing to the CLE Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m., one week prior to the seminar. Cancellations will not be accepted within one week of seminar date. One-time transfers to seminars of like value or to the live webcast of the seminar (if available) will be accepted for a $25 administrative fee in lieu of cancellations within one week of seminar. Requests to transfer to the live webcast must be received by 1 p.m. the day prior to the program. Designated substitutes may take the place of registrants unable to attend.
If you have a disability, please call ahead to let us know how we may accommodate your needs.
- ColumbiaIn-Person SeminarBar Conference Center1501 Park Street , Columbia, SC 29201
- AndersonIn-Person SeminarAnderson - Center for Excellence200 Bleckley St. Room 112, Anderson, SC 29625
- CharlestonIn-Person SeminarCharleston School of Law394 Meeting St. Room D101 or M101, Charleston, SC 29403
- FlorenceIn-Person SeminarFlorence - South Eastern Institute of Manufacturing Technology1951 Pisgah Rd. Room 249, Florence, SC 29501
- GreenvilleIn-Person SeminarGreenville Technical College - Buck Mickel Center216 S. Pleasantburg Dr. Room 135, Greenville, SC 29607
- GreenwoodIn-Person SeminarGreenwood - County Solicitors Office600 Monument St. Ste. 203, Greenwood, SC 29646
- Hilton Head IslandIn-Person SeminarHilton Head Island Public Library11 Beach City Rd. Sm Conf. Room, Hilton Head Island, SC 29926
- Myrtle BeachIn-Person SeminarMyrtle Beach-Horry Georgetown Tech, Grand Stand Campus, Auditorium950 Crab Tree Lane Room 601, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
- Rock HillIn-Person SeminarRock Hill - New Port Fire Dept.5198 Hampton Ridge Rd. , Rock Hill, SC 29730
- SpartanburgIn-Person SeminarSpartanburg County Public Library151 S. Church St. Hoechst-Celanese Room, Spartanburg, SC 29306
- SummervilleIn-Person SeminarSummerville - SC Mediation and Conference Facility1516 Old Trolley Rd. , Summerville, SC 29485