This program also qualifies for 6.0 GAL credit hours.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Throughout South Carolina, dedicated Guardians ad Litem declare, “I am for the child!” Begin your journey to certification or update your knowledge base with the SC Bar CLE Division’s 2019 GAL Training and Update. Course planner Julianne M. Stokes, Esq. joins faculty from across the state to provide guidance on issues facing Guardians today. This year’s edition includes a panel discussion with distinguished family court judges; advice from mental health professionals Davis Henderson, Ph.D., and Heather Smith, LPW; updated information on parental alienation issues from Leslie Armstrong, Esq., LPC/I, and Helen Wheeler, LPC; a child-related caselaw update from Brooke Evans, Esq.; insight on how domestic abuse impacts children from Leslie Fisk, Esq.; and in-depth discussions from experienced Guardians John Means A’Hern, Esq., Almand Barron, Esq., and Michele Dahl Sturkie, Esq.
This seminar is an intermediate to advanced level program
8:30 a.m. Registration
8:50 a.m. Welcome and Opening Remarks
Julianne M. Stokes
Stokes & Haselden, LLC
9:00 a.m. Domestic Violence and its Impact on Children
Leslie Fisk, Esq.
South Carolina Legal Services
10:00 a.m. Guardian Actions and Reactions
Michele Dahl Sturkie
Sturkie Law, LLC
10:30 a.m. Morning Break
10:45 a.m. Dollars and Sense: A Practical Look at Financial Aspects of Guardian ad Litem Work from Two Practicing Guardians ad Litem
Almand J. Barron, Esq.
Law Offices of Shea & Barron
John Means A’Hern, Esq.
The A’hern Law Firm, LLC
11:15 a.m. Parental Alienation: Don’t Be Fooled
Leslie Armstrong, Esq., LPC/I
Sahn Law Firm, LLC
Helen Elliot Wheeler, LPC
The Center for Families, LLC
12:15 p.m. Lunch (on your own)
1:30 p.m. Handling Abuse Allegations
Heather M. Smith, LPC
Metropolitan Children’s Advocacy Center
2:30 p.m. Caselaw Update
Dusenbury, Snow & Evans, PA
3:00 p.m. Judges Panel: “Answers from the Bench”
Hon. Angela W. Abstance
Hon. Tarita A. Dunbar
Hon. Robert Newton
Hon. Jerry D. Vinson
3:45 p.m. Afternoon Break
4:00 p.m. Decoding Psychological Evaluations in Custody Cases
Davis Henderson, Ph.D.
4:45 p.m. Adjourn
If you have a disability, please call ahead to let us know how we may accommodate your needs.
All registrations must be pre-paid. Need to cancel or transfer your registration? Simply notify us in writing no later than 24 hours prior to the published start time of the seminar at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be eligible to receive a full refund, be transferred to the live webcast or archived online version of the same seminar (if available), or to a live seminar of equal or lesser value - all with no cancellation or transfer fee. Refunds will not be issued for cancellations made within 24 hours of a seminar start time, but all other options listed above are available with no transfer fee.
- ColumbiaIn-Person SeminarBar Conference Center1501 Park Street , Columbia, SC 29201
- AikenIn-Person SeminarAiken (USC)471 University Parkway Room 124, Aiken, SC 29801
- AndersonIn-Person SeminarAnderson - Center for Excellence200 Bleckley St. Room 112, Anderson, SC 29625
- BeaufortIn-Person SeminarBeaufort Town Center2015 Boundary St. Training Room, Beaufort, SC 29902
- CharlestonIn-Person SeminarCharleston School of Law81 Mary Street Room D101 or M101, Charleston, SC 29403
- FlorenceIn-Person SeminarFlorence - South Eastern Institute of Manufacturing Technology1951 Pisgah Rd. Room 249, Florence, SC 29501
- GreenvilleIn-Person SeminarGreenville Technical College - Northwest Campus8109 Whitehorse Rd Room 111, Greenville, SC 29617
- GreenwoodIn-Person SeminarGreenwood - County Solicitors Office600 Monument St. Ste. 203, Greenwood, SC 29646
- Hilton Head IslandIn-Person SeminarHilton Head Island Public Library11 Beach City Rd. Sm Conf. Room, Hilton Head Island, SC 29926
- Myrtle BeachIn-Person SeminarMyrtle Beach-Horry Georgetown Tech, Grand Stand Campus950 Crab Tree Lane Room 601, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
- Rock HillIn-Person SeminarRock Hill - New Port Fire Dept.5198 Hampton Ridge Rd. , Rock Hill, SC 29730
- SpartanburgIn-Person SeminarSpartanburg County Public Library151 S. Church St. Hoechst-Celanese Room, Spartanburg, SC 29306
- SummervilleIn-Person SeminarSummerville - SC Mediation and Conference Facility1516 Old Trolley Rd. , Summerville, SC 29485
- SumterIn-Person SeminarSumter200 Miller Rd. , Sumter, SC 29150