SCACDL Members: $200 ($250 after 10/13)
Public Defenders/Solicitors: $175 ($225 after 10/13)
SC Bar Trial & Appellate Advocacy Section Members: $225 ($275 after 10/13)
All others: $250 ($300 after 10/13)
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The CLE Division and the SC Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers are proud to present A Criminal Trial Demonstration: He Said, She Said. Course Planner Judge Robert Hood has selected some of South Carolina’s most experienced prosecutors and defense attorneys to demonstrate the height of the trial lawyer’s craft by trying an intriguing “he said, she said” rape case in front of a live jury.
This program offers the opportunity to learn how veteran attorneys handle fact and expert witnesses, make and respond to objections, offer opening statements and make closing arguments, as well as view a live video broadcast as the jury deliberates the defendant’s guilt or innocence.
This seminar is an intermediate level program and has been approved for Rule 403 credit as a General Sessions trial experience.
8 a.m. Registration
8:20 a.m. Welcome and Opening Remarks
8:25 a.m. Overview of Trial
Presiding Judge: Hon. Robert E. Hood, Columbia, SC
8:40 a.m. Opening Statements
State: David M. Pascoe Jr.
Defense: Richard “Dick” A. Harpootlian
9:20 a.m. Examination of Hayley Johnson (Victim)
Direct: Kathryn “Luck” Campbell
Cross: Shaun C. Kent
10 a.m. Break
10:15 a.m. Examination of State Expert, Kimberly Smith (Nurse)
Direct: Donnie V. Myers
Cross: Henry “Hank” M. Anderson Jr.
10:55 a.m. Examination of Ryan Carpenter (Defendant)
Direct: Jonathan “Johnny” S. Gasser
Cross: Julius “Jay” N. Richardson
11:35 a.m. Lunch
12:50 p.m. Examination of Juan Rodriguez (Defense Witness)
Direct: Stanley L. Myers
Cross: Jane B. Taylor
1:30 p.m. Closing Argument
State: Kristie “Kris” B. Hodge
Defendant: Jack B. Swerling
State: Stacey D. Haynes
2:10 p.m. Jury Charge
2:25 p.m. Break
2:40 p.m. Jury Deliberations (shown live in the courtroom) and Verdict
3:25 p.m. Final Thoughts and Panel Discussion
4:10 p.m. Adjourn
All registrations must be pre-paid. Cancellation & Refund Policy: Refunds, less $25 administrative fee, will be made for cancellations received in writing to the CLE Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m., one week prior to the seminar. Cancellations will not be accepted within one week of seminar date. One-time transfers to seminars of like value or to the live webcast of the seminar (if available) will be accepted for a $25 administrative fee in lieu of cancellations within one week of seminar. Requests to transfer to the live webcast must be received by 1 p.m. the day prior to the program. Designated substitutes may take the place of registrants unable to attend.
- ColumbiaIn-Person SeminarRichland County Courthouse1701 Main St., 2nd Floor , Columbia, SC 29201
- AndersonIn-Person SeminarAnderson - Center for Excellence200 Bleckley St. Room 112, Anderson, SC 29625
- CharlestonIn-Person SeminarCharleston School of Law81 Mary Street Room M101, Charleston, SC 29403
- FlorenceIn-Person SeminarFlorence - South Eastern Institute of Manufacturing Technology1951 Pisgah Rd. Room 249, Florence, SC 29501
- GreenvilleIn-Person SeminarGreenville Technical College - Buck Mickel Center216 S. Pleasantburg Dr. Room 135, Greenville, SC 29607
- Hilton Head IslandIn-Person SeminarHilton Head Island Public Library11 Beach City Rd. Sm Conf. Room, Hilton Head Island, SC 29926
- Myrtle BeachIn-Person SeminarMyrtle Beach-Horry Georgetown Tech, Grand Stand Campus950 Crab Tree Lane Room 601, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
- Rock HillIn-Person SeminarRock Hill - New Port Fire Dept.5198 Hampton Ridge Rd. , Rock Hill, SC 29730
- SpartanburgIn-Person SeminarSpartanburg County Public Library151 S. Church St. Hoechst-Celanese Room, Spartanburg, SC 29306