ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The SC Bar CLE Division is again proud to present the preeminent family law continuing legal education event of the year! Hot Tips from the Coolest Domestic Law Practitioners features updates on key substantive, procedural, evidentiary, and technology issues for the domestic practice attorney, as well as guidance from the Family and Appellate Court bench, sage wisdom from experienced practitioners, and fresh insights from new voices! But most of all, Hot Tips is fast-moving and practical. You’ll get practice-transforming insights, fantastic written materials, and an unbeatable networking opportunity!
This year’s edition features reflections and insights from Court of Appeals Judge Bruce Williams, Family Court Judges Jay Vinson and Vicki Snelgrove, guidance from Ken Lester on the new Family Court Rule 25, insights on changes in military retirements by Mary Fran Quindlen, advice on how to handle client case and financial expectations from Michael Gillen and Emily Johnson, and powerful tips from some of South Carolina’s leading domestic practice voices. New this year, Hot Tips will feature Q&A panels for the morning and afternoon sessions from our distinguished faculty.
We are also pleased to continue our practice of offering Hot Tips program materials in hard copy for those who register by 5pm on Friday, September 8. Please keep in mind electronic materials will also be available under your member login.
This seminar is an intermediate to advanced level program.
8:30 a.m. Registration
8:55 a.m. Welcome and Opening Remarks
C. Vance Stricklin Jr., Moore Taylor Law Firm, P.A.
Melissa F. Brown, Melissa F. Brown, LLC
9:00 a.m. The Effect of In Re Fabri
C. Dixon Lee III, McLaren & Lee
9:15 a.m. Observations from the Appellate Bench
Hon. Harris Bruce Williams, SC Court of Appeals
9:30 a.m. And It Is So Ordered
Hon. Jerry D. Vinson Jr., SC Family Court
9:45 a.m. What Do You Mean When You Say I Am Not Being Civil?
Hon. Vicki J. Snelgrove, SC Family Court
10 a.m. Changes in Military Retirement
Mary Fran Quindlen, Quindlen Law Firm, P.A.
10:18 a.m. Impact of New Family Court Rule 25
Ken H. Lester, Lester & Hendrix
10:30 a.m. Hot Tips on the Hot Seat: Q&A
10:40 a.m. Mid-Morning Break
10:55 a.m. Ethics—The Question of Spoilation of Evidence
Steven R. Kropski, Earhart Overstreet, LLC
11:25 a.m. Stipulations and Transcripts of Judgments
Kristina Parise Noë, Parise Law Firm, PA
11:37 a.m. Preparing Affidavits for Temporary Hearings
Nancy Jo Thomason, Thomason & Pracht, LLP
11:49 a.m. Expedited & Emergency Hearings: When & How to File
Martha L. Hamel, Martha L. Hamel, Attorney at Law, P.C.
12:02 p.m. Immigration Issues in Family Court
Patricia S. Ravenhorst, S.C. Victim Assistance Network
12:14 p.m. Spies Like iOS: Now That You’ve Found Spyware, What Are Your Remedies?
Max N. Pickelsimer, Payne, Black & Pickelsimer, LLC
12:26 p.m. Hot Tips on the Hot Seat: Q&A
12:36 p.m. Lunch (on your own)
1:51 p.m. How to Obtain GPS Electronic Information in an IT World
James T. McLaren, McLaren & Lee
2:03 p.m. 3 Tools for Managing Client Financial Expectations
Emily A. Johnson, Polaris Capital Advisors, LLC
2:18 p.m. Managing Client Case Expectations
Michael F. Gillen, Gillen Law Firm
2:30 p.m. The Difference Between Alimony & Separate Maintenance—Yes, There is One
Peter G. Currence, McDougall, Self, Currence & McLeod, LLP
2:42 p.m. Attorney Fees in Contempt Actions
Reid T. Sherard, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough, LLP
2:54 p.m. What The Hague? (The Convention You’ve Heard Of—and All the Ones You Haven’t)
J. Benjamin Stevens, The Stevens Firm, P.A. Family Law Center
3:06 p.m. FOIA & Rights for Parents
Joshua M. Calder, McLaren & Lee
3:18 p.m. Beware the Rogue Legislator Lawyer in Family Court
Gary H. Smith III, Smith, Massey, Brodie, Guynn & Mayes, LLC
3:30 p.m. Hot Tips on the Hot Seat: Q&A
3:40 p.m. Afternoon Break
3:55 p.m. Keep Up the Pace—Using Body Cameras in Your Next Case
Cyril Berwyn Rush III, The Rush Law Firm, LLC
4:07 p.m. Social Media Hot Tips (Specific to Family Law Cases)
Karen L. Wingo, S.C. Department of Social Services
4:19 p.m. Family Law Case Law Update
Ashby L. Jones, Kinard & Jones, LLC
Rebecca P. Creel, Lester & Hendrix
4:34 p.m. Alimony Update
C. Vance Stricklin Jr., Moore Taylor Law Firm, P.A.
4:46 p.m. Adjourn
All registrations must be pre-paid. Cancellation & Refund Policy: Refunds, less $25 administrative fee, will be made for cancellations received in writing to the CLE Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m., one week prior to the seminar. Cancellations will not be accepted within one week of seminar date. One-time transfers to seminars of like value or to the live webcast of the seminar (if available) will be accepted for a $25 administrative fee in lieu of cancellations within one week of seminar. Requests to transfer to the live webcast must be received by 1 p.m. the day prior to the program. Designated substitutes may take the place of registrants unable to attend.
- ColumbiaIn-Person SeminarBar Conference Center1501 Park Street , Columbia, SC 29201
- AikenIn-Person SeminarAiken (USC)471 University Parkway Room 124, Aiken, SC 29801
- AndersonIn-Person SeminarAnderson - Center for Excellence200 Bleckley St. Room 112, Anderson, SC 29625
- BeaufortIn-Person SeminarBeaufort Town Center2015 Boundary St. Training Room, Beaufort, SC 29902
- CharlestonIn-Person SeminarCharleston School of Law394 Meeting St. Room D101 or M101, Charleston, SC 29403
- FlorenceIn-Person SeminarFlorence - South Eastern Institute of Manufacturing Technology1951 Pisgah Rd. Room 249, Florence, SC 29501
- GreenwoodIn-Person SeminarGreenwood - County Solicitors Office600 Monument St. Ste. 203, Greenwood, SC 29646
- GreenvilleIn-Person SeminarGreenville Technical College - Buck Mickel Center216 S. Pleasantburg Dr. Room 135, Greenville, SC 29607
- Hilton Head IslandIn-Person SeminarHilton Head11 Beach City Rd. Small Conf. Room, Hilton Head Island, SC 29926
- Myrtle BeachIn-Person SeminarMyrtle Beach-Horry Georgetown Tech, Grand Stand Campus, Auditorium950 Crab Tree Lane Room 601, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
- Rock HillIn-Person SeminarRock Hill - New Port Fire Dept.5198 Hampton Ridge Rd. , Rock Hill, SC 29730
- SpartanburgIn-Person SeminarSpartanburg County Public Library151 S. Church St. Hoechst-Celanese Room, Spartanburg, SC 29306
- SummervilleIn-Person SeminarSummerville - SC Mediation and Conference Facility1516 Old Trolley Rd. , Summerville, SC 29485