SCVAN’s Appellate Law Clinic Paralegal will be a full-time, salaried employee who works 37.5 hours per week and devotes 100% of his/her time to this Project. They will report to two Clinic Senior Staff Attorneys. This position will be primarily responsible for outreach and administrative duties associated with the Clinic project.
- Assist Clinic Staff Attorneys with drafting, filing, and serving legal pleadings and documents
- Conduct legal research using Fast Case, Lexis or Westlaw (as available)
- Attend legal consultations between victims and Clinic Staff Attorneys and take detailed meeting notes
- Provide support, resources, and referrals to victims, victim service providers and volunteer or staff attorneys as necessary
- Check/respond or forward mail and emails to appropriate Clinic Attorney (regularly and respond immediately/reasonably) to review and determine responses, next steps, etc.
- Work with the other SCVAN advocates, complete intakes by telephone as assigned
- Organize all electronic client files using CLIO case management system by keeping folders up to date and filing documents in respective folders
- Provide administrative assistance including but not limited to court scheduling, general correspondence, checking and sorting mail, monthly reimbursement & mileage forms, and maintaining client files
- Collaborate with the project Attorneys to identify opportunities in the community to serve as an ambassador for the Clinic project and coordinate, design, and implement current efforts to inform individuals and communities about SCVAN’s services
- Engage in outreach across the state to spread awareness of our program and its technology by attending community and project partner events, meetings, and other relevant engagements
- Manage communication between Clinic staff and organizations that serve victims and members of the community
- Help complete and compile all information/statistics for all grant reports, and completing other delegated tasks, as requested
The ideal candidate will have experience in assisting with filing appeals in the South Carolina Supreme Court, South Carolina Court of Appeals and lower courts and have knowledge of the appellate filing process and timelines.
The selectee will be in a hybrid work situation, combining working from home with days in the Spartanburg Office as needed. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to Senior Staff Attorney Tamika Cannon at email@example.com