South Carolina Legal Services seeks staff attorneys for its Charleston, Columbia and Rock Hill offices.
Provides a wide range of civil legal representation, advocacy, and outreach to low-income individuals. Civil litigation will primarily be in the areas of housing, consumer, education, federal income tax, elder, employment, family law, housing, probate, and public benefits though the attorney may work in other priority areas of law depending on client needs.
Litigation experience plus experience with a broad range of other advocacy tools and community education presentations strongly preferred. The position may require some evening and weekend work as well as statewide travel.
A more detailed job description is available upon request.
- Member of the SC Bar
- Knowledge of the Rules of Civil Procedures, Rules of Evidence, Rules of the Family Court, and Rules of Appellate Procedure
- Excellent relationship building, leadership and research skills
- Demonstrated competence in working with diverse clients and client communities
- Strong oral, written and presentation communication skills; bilingual skills a plus, but not required
- Proficient with Microsoft Office 2016, Microsoft Office 365, and SharePoint Online
- Commitment to public interest/poverty law
- Ability to collaborate effectively with other advocates and client groups
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record
Applicants interested in applying for this position may submit a Resume, 2 writing samples and three references with cover letter to:
South Carolina Legal Services, Attn: Human Resources –Staff Attorney – (Specify Office Location)
PO Box 1445, Columbia, SC 29202 or by fax to 803-799-9420.