American Credit Acceptance in Spartanburg seeks to fill the position of Staff Attorney - Compliance.
The position of Staff Attorney will support Legal Department and business needs for a growing automotive finance company with a national footprint. This position will expose the candidate to many aspects of consumer finance and commercial lending industries, including regulatory compliance, business transactions, and litigation management, with opportunities for advancement in these and other areas.
- Manage and maintain ACA’s business licensing platform
- Prepare and review business license filings with Analyst support
- Ensure timely processing and receipt of business license renewals
- Research and apply for new business licenses, depending upon business need
- Provide support for ACA’s Compliance Management System
- Review, revise, and maintain company policies and procedures
- Facilitate meetings for ACA’s internal compliance committees
- Review, revise, and maintain template forms and communications relating to ACA’s business
- Research federal and state laws to ensure regulatory compliance, including:
- Truth-in-Lending Act
- Equal Credit Opportunity Act
- Fair Credit Reporting Act
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (and state debt collection laws)
- Federal and state laws restricting unfair or deceptive acts or practices
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- State retail installment sales acts
- State uniform commercial codes
- State certificate of title acts
- Bankruptcy and creditor’s rights laws
- Develop and maintain 50-state legal surveys on various topics with Analyst support
- Other tasks as assigned
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Candidate should have excellent analytical skills, strong sense of organization, and an ability to communicate clearly with internal and external parties
- Computer skills should include Microsoft Office, Windows, and the internet
- Bachelor’s and Juris Doctor degrees required, successful completion of bar examination and active law license in at least one jurisdiction required
- 0-1 years of experience as an attorney
This position may have supervisory responsibilities.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position with a work schedule of Monday-Friday with some schedule variations as needed.
This position may require up to 10% travel.
ACA provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. ACA complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.