About the Center for Heirs’ Property Preservation
The Center for Heirs’ Property Preservation (the Center), a nonprofit organization established in February 2005, has a mission of protecting heirs’ property (HP) and promoting the sustainable use of land to provide increased economic benefit to low-wealth families through education, advocacy, legal services and forestry technical assistance in the counties of Allendale, Bamberg, Beaufort, Berkeley, Calhoun, Charleston, Clarendon, Colleton, Dillon, Dorchester, Georgetown, Hampton, Horry, Jasper, Lee, Marlboro, Orangeburg, Sumter. Williamsburg, Darlington, Marion and Florence.
Staff Attorney Position Description
Under the supervision of the Director of Legal Services, this position performs such duties as conducting client intakes and providing consultations and direct legal representation on legal matters pertaining to heirs’ property, tenancy in common rights, probate estate administration, intestate inheritance, chain of title issues, tax sales, quiet title actions, land partition matters, and the drafting of Wills and Advanced Directives. The position also requires full participation in community outreach efforts and events within the Center’s service area which will include evening and weekend work. This position is a full time equivalent, exempt position. The home office for this position will be at the Center’s Charleston Office located at 1535 Sam Rittenberg Blvd, Ste. D, Charleston, SC 29407.
Initially, the position will primarily be a remote work position covering the counties of Calhoun, Lee, Dillon, and Marlboro as well as other assigned counties in the Center’s service area.
Desired Experience, Education, Skills, and Knowledge
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school with acceptance to the SC Bar.
- Completion of the 403 requirements.
- Has at least 1-3 years of experience in handling the administration of probate estates and Petition to Determine Heirs actions and familiarity with the quiet title process.
- Must be a member in good standing of the South Carolina Bar with no South Carolina Bar Disciplinary Issues.
- Experience in real property title review and transactions and a working knowledge of the processes involved in the offices of public land records, i.e., the RMC, Probate and Clerks of Court.
- Capability to maintain project records and reports using technology and experience in using this information to prepare project-related reports for management, partners and funders
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong oral and written communications skills
- Proven ability to work as part of a team in shared office space
- Capability to deal with individuals from various backgrounds, including clients and personnel.
- Experience either in working or volunteering for a nonprofit social service organization. 2
- Empathetic to the special values and challenges of heirs’ property owners and other historically underserved landowners.
Compensation consists of (1) a base salary that is dependent upon level of experience and falls within Center Pay Grade 9 ($50,000 - $60,000) and (2) benefits (i.e., paid leave, health and dental insurance, and retirement).
Applications will be received until 5 pm on January 22, 2021. It is anticipated that the position will be filled by February 5, 2021. Applicants should send via either email or mail (1) a cover letter, which includes why the applicant wishes to apply for the position, along with salary requirements and (2) a resume. This information should be sent to the attention of:
J.F. Walden, Esq., Chief Operating Officer, (firstname.lastname@example.org), Center for Heirs’ Property Preservation, 1535 Sam Rittenberg Blvd., Suite D., Charleston, South Carolina 29407
No calls, please, regarding this opportunity; however, feel free to view the Center’s website at www.heirsproperty.org for additional information. This is a republication of the position.