The South Carolina Bar is seeking a Public Services Volunteer Coordinator.
SUMMARY STATEMENT: Under the direction of the Public Services Director, responsible for operations of Ask-A-Lawyer, Pro Bono Program Clinics and Law School for Non-Lawyers. Maintain database tracking volunteer time.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Schedule and recruit volunteer lawyers for Ask-A-Lawyer television telephone banks and web chats. Provide and ship materials and Ask-A-Lawyer reference books to volunteers. Send confirmation email, confirmation letter, credit form, and reminder notice to volunteers. Coordinate with Communications for PR. Send email thank you to participating attorneys. Keep records of types of questions and areas of law, caller’s county and attorney hours.
- Coordinate having Ask-A-Lawyer materials and reference books updated, formatted, and printed.
- Coordinate educational clinics, arrange locations, locate speaker\attorney volunteers. Send confirmation letter, confirmation email, credit forms, and reminder notices to all attorney volunteers. Send letter of confirmation, flyers, and surveys to clinic site. Coordinate with Communications for PR. Once surveys are returned, enter the information into the computer. Send email thank you to participating attorneys. Keep records of attorney hours.
- Coordinate and arrange Law School for Non-Lawyers, including locations, attorney instructors. Send out confirmation letters, flyers, and contact information of attorney instructors to the technical colleges holding the course. Send confirmation letter, textbook, credit form, to the participating instructor attorneys. Send reminder notices to all instructor attorneys. Send emails and flyers to schools, churches, business, etc., in the area where LSFNL is being held. Coordinate with Communications for PR. Arrange for someone at the Technical College to be there the first night of the course. Send email thank you to participating attorneys. Keep record of attorney hours, and survey comments.
- Coordinate updating, formatting, and printing the materials\textbook.
- Provide support to all attorney volunteers as needed.
- Handle all record keeping of attorney hours for Ask-A-Lawyer, Clinics, Law School for Non-Lawyers, Pro Bono mediators and\or arbitrators, Case Referral, Law Related Education, Veteran clinics, and County Bar clinics. Maintain hours for Pro Bono Honor Roll and send certificates to those attorneys who qualify.
- Maintain and send list of Pro Bono mediators and arbitrators as requested.
- Maintaining data to apply for grant reporting.
- Responsible for coordination of Speaker’s Bureau.
- Answer public inquires as received via mail, email, and telephone.
- Cover receptionist duties as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS: Bachelor’s or Associate degree or equivalent experience. Strong communication and writing skills. Ability to become proficient in case and data management software through informal training. Proficient in the Microsoft Office suite of software. Strong organizational skills.
DESIRED ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS: Previous experience in a legal setting or paralegal certification. Experience with recruiting, training, and scheduling volunteers.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to lift up to 40 pounds. Must be able to remain in a stationary position 70% of the time and occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office equipment and meet with staff. Must be able to prepare materials for shipping.
Interested candidates should apply online.