The City of Charleston is seeking part-time DUI public defender.
Location: City of Charleston Municipal Court, 180 B Lockwood Blvd.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: Serve as primary attorney to provide defense to persons charged with DUI who qualify for a court appointed public defender. May be assigned other criminal cases as needed.
- Regularly communicate with, advise, and advocate for court appointed clients.
- Prepare all aspects of assigned cases, including research relevant case law and statutes, prepare legal documents including discovery requests, interview witnesses to identify potential defenses, and recommend appropriate options to clients.
- Represent clients at pretrial hearings and at jury trials
;develop and arguing pretrial and post-trial motions.
- Negotiate disposition of cases or modification of charges with the Prosecutor’s office after communicating with clients.
- Maintain and develop effective relationships with the Prosecutor’s office, judges, and police department.
- Organize and manage a large caseload in preparation of hearings and/or trial.
Qualifications/Education requirements: Juris Doctorate law degree (J. D.); Five or more years in the practice of law with emphasis on experience in DUI jury trial cases.
Experience as former prosecutor or public defender preferable.
Must be a member in good standing of the SC Bar and Rule 403 certified. Legal professional liability insurance is required.
Submit resume to Julia Copeland, Deputy Corporate Counsel, at: email@example.com.
Deadline is November 1.