Anderson County, SC seeks applications for the position of Public Defender-Attorney I.
Represents indigent persons charged with crimes in the County. Defends individuals charged with felonies, misdemeanors and traffic cases for which a sentence of incarceration may be imposed. Provides effective representation to clients who are frequently illiterate, uneducated and uncooperative while maintaining a large and varied caseload.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Zealous representation of clients in General Sessions (felony criminal court), magistrate and municipal courts.
- Manage a high-volume and varied caseload competently, resourcefully and independently in all stages of criminal procedure, including bond hearings, general court appearances, motion practice, probation hearings, pleas, jury trials and sentencing.
- Meet with clients, both in jail and on bond, to inform them of their constitutional rights and familiarize them with the criminal judicial system. Communicate with clients in person, on telephone, via written or electronic mail.
- Analyze, appraise and organize facts, evidence and precedents, and present such material orally and in clear written and logical form. Interpret and apply applicable Federal, State and local laws.
- Negotiate with the State's prosecutors, probation officers and law enforcement to reach a desired result for clients.
- Develop trial strategy though analysis of evidence, relevant law and procedure for complex litigation. Prepare cases through investigation, witness interviews, legal research and engaging expert witnesses.
- Seek professional development through trainings, continuing legal education and trial skills courses.
- Demonstrate commitment to the principals of comprehensive and holistic public defense.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. Occasional need to work extended hours and respond to emergencies on a 24-hour basis. Overnight travel required on occasion.
- Performs other similar duties as required.
Job Specifications and Qualifications
- Law and the ability to relate it to the client in a manner that they can understand;
- Opposing party's position and the constraints they work under;
- Legal issues involved with each client's case and the concomitant law that governs those issues;
- Strong computer skills including legal research, client database management, word processing and electronic communication;
- Written and verbal communication via in-person, phone and email contact;
- Analyzing details to build a case;
- Public speaking to present client’s case;
- Negotiation to aid in winning the case for the client.
- Juris Doctor degree from accredited law school
Licensing and Certifications
- South Carolina Bar License;
- Valid Driver’s License.
Working Conditions / Physical Requirements:
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, a negligible amount of force frequently, and/or or constantly having to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
- Positions in this class typically require fingering, talking, hearing, seeing, grasping, standing, walking and repetitive motions.
Applicants should email Jennifer Johnson at email@example.com and include cover letter, resume and three references. Deadline to apply is April 16, 2021.