TITLE: Pro Bono Counsel, South Carolina Bar
DIVISION: Public Services
REPORTS TO: Pro Bono Director
SUMMARY: Coordinate online referrals from designated organizations, offer technical support to volunteers regarding online training, case and data management software, and provide internal and external counsel and advice.
1. In conjunction with Pro Bono Director:
a. Develop and maintain internal systems for collecting, retrieving, and evaluating data regarding prospective clients, clients, volunteers, partner agencies, services provided, program operations, and outcomes;
b. Provide ongoing, internal feedback, comfortably navigate, and provide user support to volunteers regarding online training, case and data management technology;
c. Develop and maintain volunteer training and case resources including legal templates;
d. Maintain regular contact and lines of open communication with pro bono circuit representatives and other, key players statewide to support, strategize, and coordinate efforts regarding localized pro bono initiatives;
e. Provide ongoing input into volunteer recruitment strategies;
f. Provide quarterly reports to the Pro Bono Board; and
g. Provide administrative support to the Pro Bono Board.
2. Manage an efficient intake process.
3. Conduct intake of potential cases as needed.
4. Process pro bono cases and post cases to case and data management software bulletin board.
5. Coordinate use of case and data management software bulletin board by other pro bono programs in the state.
6. Facilitate timely and appropriate placement of and follow-up for cases with volunteers.
7. Facilitate access by the client community, including addressing issues of language, disability and cultural differences.
8. Review data to ensure that program goals are met.
9. Identify cases appropriate for counsel and advice.
a. Implement and manage Lawyer on the Line counsel and advice pro bono program for volunteers.
b. As necessary, provide counsel and advice for those cases not attended to by the Lawyer on the Line program.
10. Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• Admitted to practice law in South Carolina.
• Prior experience as a practicing attorney in private practice or legal services.
• Strong collaboration and communication skills.
• Strong organizational, time management, analytical and problem solving, and oral and written communications skills.
• Computer and technology skills including Microsoft Office.
• Capacity to become familiar and comfortable with case and data management software through formal and informal training
DESIRED ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
• Minimum two years of legal services or pro bono legal service.
• Demonstrated passion for seeking justice for low income and vulnerable populations.
• Ability to work well under pressure, set and meet deadlines, manage several priorities in a day all with minimal supervision
Send resume and cover letter to Stinson Ferguson at firstname.lastname@example.org or P.O. Box 608, Columbia, SC 29202. Questions about the program may be addressed to email@example.com. Materials are requested by Friday, December 22, 2017.