South Carolina Legal Services seeks a Deputy Director of Litigation and Training.
Under the policies and procedures established by SCLS, the Deputy Director of Litigation and Training duties include, but are not limited to, overseeing the work of the substantive units, facilitating representation of SCLS’ clients in complex litigation, initiating and defending complex cases, co-counseling with SCLS staff attorneys in such cases and providing advice and assistance. The Deputy Director of Litigation and Training works to increase and improve SCLS’ capacity to provide quality representation in more difficult and complicated cases. S/he will be responsible for all major litigation training, overseeing development of program advocates and participating in the hiring and evaluation of advocates. The Deputy Director of Litigation and Training consults with individual staff attorneys on substantive, procedural, evidentiary, ethical, and strategic matters arising in their caseloads. Position requires statewide travel. Some evening and weekend work is also required.
- Admission to the SC Bar
- Minimum of ten years prior civil litigation experience in both federal, state, summary, and administrative courts
- Strong oral, written and presentation communication skills
- Excellent social media skills and experience, including working in the digital media space
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work under pressure, meet tight deadlines, and handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Superb ability to think creatively, generate new ideas and follow through on them
- Strong leadership, relationship building, and organizational skills
- Demonstrated professional demeanor
- Visionary, strategic, creative and intelligent problem solver
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment with diverse teams
- Proficient with Microsoft Office 2016, Microsoft Office 365, and SharePoint Online
- Demonstrated competence in working with diverse clients and client communities
Applicants interested in applying for this position may submit a Resume, 2 writing samples and three references with cover letter to:
South Carolina Legal Services, Attn: Human Resources – Deputy Director of Litigation and Training
PO Box 1445, Columbia, SC 29202 or by fax to 803-799-9420.