Charleston Pro Bono Legal Services Inc., is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit located in Charleston, SC. We are dedicated to providing civil legal aid to low-income clients. We are seeking a Housing Court Attorney Coordinator to fulfill a critical role in the growing South Carolina Supreme Court sanctioned pilot program. This person will coordinate with, and on behalf of, the agencies that comprise the Housing Court Committee.
Major Job Duties:
- Attend and facilitate Housing Court hearings and supporting activities at participating Charleston County Magistrate Courts;
- Foster relationships with the participating court clerks’ office to coordinate dockets and obtain necessary pleadings;
- Promote Housing Court within the legal community to encourage private attorneys to sign up for Housing Court;
- Organize training for private attorneys and students to better enable them to participate with Housing Court;
- Supervise law students with conducting client intake and program eligibility determination;
- Tracking cases and statistics to provide insight into trends, directions and opportunities for growth;
- Maintain and manage contact with volunteer attorneys where appropriate;
- Participate in community outreach programs and community clinics as needed;
- Provide support, training, and education of paralegals, volunteers, and interns;
- Monthly reporting to Housing Court Committee; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills:
- J.D. from accredited law school;
- Member of the South Carolina Bar in good standing;
- Rule 403 certification;
- Exposure and experience in housing law, specifically landlord-tenant;
- Strong organizational, time management, analytical and problem solving, and oral and written communications skills with the ability to advocate persuasively for the Program’s mission;
- Demonstrated passion for seeking justice for low-income and vulnerable populations;
- Demonstrated empathy and understanding of the unique legal issues confronting our clientele; and
- Ability to work well under pressure, set and meet deadlines, manage several priorities in a day.
Salary Range: $45,000 - $50,000.
Accepting applications for an immediate start.
Alissa C. Lietzow, Esq.
Post Office Box 1116
Charleston, SC 29402
To apply, please include the following: (1) Cover Letter; (2) Resume; and (3) References
Charleston Pro Bono is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.