The South Carolina Department of Disabilities and Special Needs (DDSN) is seeking a Attorney II.
- Reviews employee grievance appeals and discrimination complaints. Serves as back-up to the Attorney III with representing DDSN in employee mediations and in grievance appeals.
- Represents DDSN in family court and probate court judicial admission proceedings. Represents DDSN in other judicial forums. Researches and prepares memorandum and legal briefs as required.
- Reviews evaluations for criminal competency to stand trial evaluations and post-conviction relief cases and works with the courts and attorneys on obtaining required evaluations.
- Assists with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) on behalf of the agency. Completes FOIA requests according to standard guidelines and timelines.
- Reviews and approves employee outside employment requests according to DDSN's Outside Employment Directive. Ensures all requests have been reviewed according to DDSN directive guidelines, and maintains a record of approvals/denials.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
The Attorney II provides legal advice and assistance to agency personnel on complex legal matters. Assists the Chief Legal Counsel in preparing and issuing legal opinions to key DDSN staff. Provides legal assistance to DDSN staff for contracts, leases, and property transfers.
Minimum and Additional Requirements
A Juris Doctor degree or its equivalent from an accredited law school, member of the SC Bar; and experience as a practicing attorney. Experience should include SC Courts, Family Courts, Probate Courts, and administrative hearings.
Knowledge of the laws of South Carolina. Knowledge of agency policies, standards, and procedures. Ability to interpret and apply policies, laws, and judicial decisions. Ability to establish priorities. Ability to express conclusions and arguments clearly and logically. Some familiarity with Roberts Rules of Procedure. Knowledge and experience with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Interested applicants should apply online.