This position is with the South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
Job responsibilities include:
- Provides legal advice to department staff on legal issues that arise related to the Department's contracts with coordinated care entities, including Medicaid Managed Care Organizations (MCOs) and Medicare-Medicaid Plans (MMPs). Providing legal opinions to administrative and program staffs in the interpretation of state and federal laws and regulations as they relate to Department policies and recommending appropriate actions.
- Provides research and legal advice related to proposed bills in the General Assembly with potential to impact Department business, bringing impactful legislation to the attention of the General Counsel and/or Deputy General Counsel. Researches legislative questions as requested by the General Counsel/Deputy general Counsel. Works with the Legislative Liaison as needed. Also maintains an awareness of federal laws with impact on the Department's business. Drafts legislation for presentation to the Executive Staff and legislature by the General Counsel and oversees drafting of agency regulations to assure compliance with state and federal law.
- Represents the Department in administrative hearings before the Division of Appeals and Hearings and other venues as necessary, with specific focus on the vast number of Eligibility cases involving the Department. Working within the structure and processes established by the Lead Litigator. Provides legal opinions to administrative and program staff in the interpretation of Department policies as they relate to state and federal laws and regulations, and recommends appropriate actions.
- Provides legal advice to Department staff on legal issues that arise related to the Department's designation as lead agency for South Carolina's program under Part C of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA Part C) locally known as "BabyNet".
- Attend and provide legal advice to Department staff on legal issues that arise related to the Pharmacy & Therapeutics (P&T) Committee.
- A juris doctor degree from an accredited law school and experience as a practicing attorney.
- Member in good standing of the South Carolina Bar. Completed all Rule 403 requirements.
- Occasional overnight travel.
- Sitting or standing for long periods of time.
- Lifting requirements: 20 lbs.
- Knowledge of the laws of South Carolina.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to interpret and apply laws and judicial decisions.
- Ability to make and keep schedules.
- Should be organized and possess basic computer and math skills.
Interested candicated can apply here