Charleston Pro Bono Legal Services seeks diverse and dynamic applicants for a two-year, full-time, in person attorney position as an Equal Justice Works Fellow in the Housing Justice Program. The Fellowship ideally begins in August 2022.
Fellowship responsibilities include:
• Providing direct legal services for residents of Charleston County addressing civil legal issues that arise from housing instability for low-income households, especially in eviction cases – legal screening, advice, brief service, full-scope representation, and pro bono assistance through legal clinics and referrals.
• Support the Charleston County Housing Court Program and its expansion throughout Charleston County by attending and representing eligible tenants at Housing Court hearings at assigned courts.
• Building key stakeholder relationships in furtherance of the Fellowship objectives by creating and fostering new relationships while furthering collaborative efforts with current partnerships.
• Strategizing, planning, and conducting training and outreach to communities and community organizations in furtherance of housing stability and affordability for low-income community members; engaging in peer-to-peer learning with other Equal Justice Works Housing Justice Program Fellows.
• Actively contributing to and participating in Housing Justice Program cohort activities (resource exchanges; mandatory webinars and conference calls; and training events, including Equal Justice Works Leadership Development Training in fall 2022 and 2023).
• Exercising leadership competencies as an Equal Justice Works Fellow.
• Contributing to required programmatic reporting and overall program evaluation.
Candidates will possess the following qualifications:
• Licensed to practice law in South Carolina with completed 403 requirements
• Member of the South Carolina Bar in good standing
• Commitment to social justice
• Excellent writing, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
• Strong oral and negotiation skills, and the ability to work as a team member
• Prior experience in managing independent projects or assignments
• Experience with delivering training and presentations a plus
• Diverse economic, social and cultural experiences and a second language are preferred
• Law school clinic, externship, summer, or other relevant practice experience
• Knowledge of housing benefits law and/or experience with housing and benefits agencies
• An ability to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary setting to facilitate a coordinated community response and provide holistic services to clients
Please note all Fellows are expected to fulfill the complete duration of the Fellowship and will be required to sign a Fellowship Agreement with Equal Justice Works.
Salary and Other Benefits: The Equal Justice Works Housing Justice Program attorney will receive an annual salary of $60,000 and additional employee benefits through Charleston Pro Bono Legal Services. Interested applicants should contact Charleston Pro Bono Legal Services with any follow-up questions.
Application Instructions: Submit cover letter, resume, and references to Alissa Lietzow at ALietzow@charlestonprobono.org with “Equal Justice Fellow Application” in the subject line.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2022, but candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.