The office of Anderson County, South Carolina seeks an experienced Assistant Public Defender to join its defense team.
Represents indigent persons charged with crimes in the County. Defends individuals charged with felonies, misdemeanors, and traffic cases for which a sentence of incarceration may be imposed. Provides effective representation to clients who are frequently illiterate, uneducated, and uncooperative while maintaining a large and varied caseload.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
This job description intends to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by employees in this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Zealous representation of clients in General Sessions (felony criminal court), magistrate, and municipal courts.
- Manage a high-volume and varied caseload competently, resourcefully, and independently in all stages of criminal procedure, including bond hearings, general court appearances, motion practice, probation hearings, pleas, jury trials, and sentencing.
- Meet with clients, both in jail and on bond, to inform them of their constitutional rights and familiarize them with the criminal judicial system. Communicate with clients in person, on the telephone, via written or electronic mail.
- Analyze, appraise, and organize facts, evidence, and precedents, and present such material orally and in clear written and logical form. Interpret and apply applicable Federal, State, and local laws.
- Negotiate with the State's prosecutors, probation officers, and law enforcement to reach the desired result for clients.
- Develop trial strategy through analysis of evidence, relevant law, and procedure for complex litigation. Prepare cases through investigation, witness interviews, legal research, and engaging expert witnesses.
- Seek professional development through training, continuing legal education, and trial skills courses.
- Demonstrate commitment to the principles of comprehensive and holistic public defense.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment. Occasional need to work extended hours and respond to emergencies on a 24-hour basis. Overnight travel is required on occasion.
- Performs other similar duties as required.
COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESSFUL PERFORMANCE OF JOB DUTIES
- Law and the ability to relate it to the client in a manner that they can understand;
- Opposing party's position and the constraints they work under;
- Legal issues involved with each client's case and the concomitant law that governs those
- Strong computer skills including legal research, client database management, word
processing, and electronic communication;
- Written and verbal communication via in-person, phone, and email contact;
- Analyzing details to build a case;
- Public speaking to present the client’s case;
- Negotiation to aid in winning the case for the client
REQUIRED LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS
- South Carolina Bar License;
- Valid Driver’s License.
Required Education and Experience
- 3 to 5 years’ experience
Management & Supervision
- Supervision received: Under the direct supervision of the Chief Circuit Public Defender
- Occasional direction of semi-complex work
Human Collaboration Skills
- Negotiating interaction with moderate impact
Freedom to Act
- General direction with moderate impact
- Moderate skills and standard application
- Good conditions with frequent physical effort
Interested applicants should submit a resume, cover letter and references to email@example.com.