Position: Assistant City Solicitor
Annual Salary: $65,499 - $80,163 Per Year / DOQ
Position Type: Full-Time
Close Date: Until Filled
The purpose of this class within the organization is to resolve charges via trials, pleas, recommendations for various programs in the community targeted to the specific needs of the case, and dismissal where appropriate. This class works independently, under limited supervision, reporting major activities through periodic meetings.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Requires a Law Degree.
- Requires two years of criminal and litigation experience or closely related experience. The equivalent combination of education and related work experience may be considered.
Special Certifications and Licenses:
- Juris Doctorate is required as well as admission by the SC Supreme Court to practice law in the State of South Carolina.
- A valid driver's license is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of criminal law and procedure with particular emphasis on the laws of South Carolina and Code of Ordinances for the City of Rock Hill.
- Knowledge of, or ability to efficiently utilize technology
- Ability to deal tactfully and skillfully with officials, attorneys, prisoners, and others contacted in the course of court operations.
- Ability to practice law competently in a Municipal and appellate setting.
- Ability to maintain organizational standards, develop goals and coordinate the most effective use of personnel.
- Ability to present oral and written opinions, comments, administrative documents, and reports clearly and concisely.
- Ability to deal with people beyond giving and receiving instructions. Must be adaptable to performing under stress when confronted with emergency situations or tight deadlines.
- Ability to maintain positive customer-focused relationships with co-workers, supervisors, agencies, the general public, and all other internal and external customers. Personally, demonstrates appropriate customer service skills.
- Work is performed onsite. The incumbent must be present at work to perform the essential functions of this job. The work schedule is Monday through Friday, 8:00AM - 5:00PM
Essential Job Functions:
- Prepares and conducts jury trial cases; pleads jury trial/bench court cases
- Researches case law; argues before superior courts to aid in resolving cases and to encourage appropriate determinations in the State's appellate courts.
- Writes briefs, memos, and motions as needed to further prosecution in Rock Hill Municipal Court and appeals in York County Common Pleas, SC Court of Appeals and SC Supreme Court.
- Works with victim's advocate and confers with and prepares crime victims and witnesses to prepare for jury trials and/or determine other reasonable case resolutions.
- Extends case offers and negotiates case resolutions with pro se defendants and defense attorneys in an efficient manner.
- Attends Pro Se Day and Public Defender Day conferences to meet with victims and witnesses, to discuss resolution options with pro se defendants and Public Defenders, and to present case resolutions to the court.
- Reviews files; gathers witnesses and evidence; extends case offers and negotiates case resolutions with pro se defendants and defense attorneys in an efficient manner.
- Confers with crime victims and witnesses to prepare for jury trials and/or determine other reasonable case resolutions.
- Attends bench court to advise officers; meets with victims and witnesses; discusses resolution options with pro se defendants; presents case resolutions to the court.
- Disposes of cases is an efficient manner as outlined in the strategic goals
- Performs all other duties as may be assigned to meet organizational needs
Interested candidates can apply here www.cityofrockhill.com/jobs