Section serves as a forum for all segments of the employment bar to review and comment on regulatory policy and procedure as well as legislative initiatives. Committees include: Equal Employment Opportunity Committee; Education Committee; Labor Management and Relations Committee; Specialization Committee; Membership Committee; and Occupational Safety/Health Committee.
2015 SC Bar Convention
January 22-25, Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center
Section CLE: Friday, Jan. 23, 8:30-11:45 a.m.
3.0 MCLE Credit Hours, including up to 3.0 Employment and Labor Law Specialization Credit Hours
2015 Section Midyear Mtg., May 15, Bar Conference Center
2015 NC/SC Joint Conference, October 22-24, Wild Dunes Resort
2017 NC/SC Joint Conference, October 19-21, Wild Dunes Resort
Join the Section
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Employment & Labor Law Section, please forward dues payment in the amount of $15 to: SC Bar, Attn: Tara G. Caine, P.O. Box 608, Columbia, SC 29202. Please make checks payable to the S.C. Bar and note in the memo portion Employ. Dues.
Promote continuing legal education and professional development by:
• Conducting a Section CLE at the 2015 Bar Convention. The Section will request that this seminar be videotaped and offered for CLE credit at a later date.
• Hosting a Section Midyear Meeting in May of 2015 that offers Employment and Labor Law specialization credit.
• Coordinating the NC/SC Joint Employment and Labor Law annual program. This program will be videotaped and offered for CLE credit at a later date.
• Encouraging Section members and seminar attendees to complete and submit an evaluation survey for planning purposes for future CLEs.
• Publishing a periodic newsletter. In addition, and as a service to the members of the Bar and the public at large, the Section will make its newsletter available in an electronic format to all those who indicate an interest for the publication.
• Producing online CLEs and distance learning programs, including seeking volunteers from the Section to speak on topics that will be available for on-line CLE credit.
• Exploring partnering with ABOTA or other organizations on a practice skills seminar.
• Informing members of significant developments in Employment and Labor Law, legislative updates, upcoming events, etc., through the Section listserv, Bar Website, and various other social media.
Institute membership and participation initiatives by:
• Offering one free year of membership to all new Bar members.
• Providing a discount to Section members on the Labor and Employment Law for South Carolina Lawyers publication and any additional updates.
• Honoring a Section member for their meritorious service to the Section and practice of law by recognizing this individual at the Section Midyear with the Distinguished Lawyer of the Year award.
• Coordinating statewide socials.
• Activating the subcommittee structure, primarily by looking to the subcommittee chairs for substantive articles for the Section newsletter and assistance in identifying speakers for Employment and Labor Law-related continuing legal education programs.
• Selecting a recipient for the Benjamin M. Mabry Scholarship by honoring a rising third-year law student from the University of South Carolina School of Law who has interest in the practice of employment and labor law and who demonstrates leadership and academic potential. This recipient would be acknowledged at the Section Midyear meeting and would be presented with a check in the amount of $1,000.00.
Labor Management Relations
Equal Employment Opportunity
Occupational Safety and Health
Distance Learning Education Committee
Employment and Labor Law Specialization
Articles are needed for future issues of the Employment & Labor Law Section newsletter. If you are interested in submitting an article, please forward your submission to:
Ashley K. Kelley
Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
5 Exchange St.
Charleston, SC 29401
(843) 720-4679/Fax: (843) 723-7398
April 9, 2014
(803) 799-6653, ext. 146