Dining Suggestions from Mike and Anne Kelly
Anne and I always enjoyed our annual convention trips to Charleston for many reasons, not the least of which was the food! Several years ago, we became part-time residents of Myrtle Beach and to our delight discovered that Myrtle Beach also has a wide variety of wonderful restaurants with innovative cuisine. We wanted to share some of this information with you so that you can better enjoy your Myrtle Beach convention experience. Myrtle Beach has so many outstanding restaurants that it was impossible to mention every one of them. What appears below is a small sampling of our favorite fare. Enjoy!
Upscale/ Eclectic Dining:
- Aspen Grille – www.aspen-grille.com - 5101 N Kings Hwy., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577, (843)449-9191. This elegant spot offers low country classics as well as premium steaks and seafood. Extensive wine selection. Reservations recommended.
- Barrons Steak and Spirits - http://baronssteaksandspirits.com - Located in the Galleria Shopping Center, 9650 North Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572, (843) 497-5200. This casually elegant restaurant advertises “the best steaks on the beach”. Whether you order the steaks or other menu items, you will not be disappointed. They also feature daily drink and dinner specials.
- Collector’s Café - http://collectorscafeandgallery.com - 7740 N Kings Hwy., Myrtle Beach, SC 29572, (843)449-9370. Mediterranean grill serving lunch and dinner. A trendy local favorite. Fine dining in a vibrant art gallery setting. Displayed art created by unique local artists is offered for sale. The Lounge is a hip local hot spot. Reservations recommended.
- Greg Norman’s Australian Grill- http://gregnormansaustraliangrille.com - 4930 U.S. 17S, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582, (843)361-0000. (Barefoot Landing); internationally hip, well-designed, prestigious restaurant serving Australian and Pacific rim dishes.
- Joe’s Bar and Grill - http://joesbarandgrillonline.com - 810 Conway Street North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582, (843)272-4666. Located in the Windy Hill section of North Myrtle Beach, across from Barefoot Landing. This is an old fashioned casual fine dining beach restaurant, with a rustic décor and pleasing menu. A favorite of locals and tourists alike.
- Martini’s - www.martinisfinedining.com - 98 Highway 17, South, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582, (843)249-1134. One of North Myrtle Beach's Leading Restaurants. Featuring Continental Cuisine. Simple yet elegant decor, fresh local seafood, succulent steaks, chops & veal, superb wine and martini lists.
- New York Prime -www.newyorkprime.com - 405 28th Ave N., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577, (843)448-8081. Traditional New York Steakhouse featuring certified U.S.D.A. Prime Beef. The restaurant is famous for lobster, as well (up to 18 lbs). Clubby, New York atmosphere. Voted a Top Ten Steakhouse in the U.S. in several publications. Very large portions. Reservations recommended.
- Oceans at 82nd - 8400 Costa Verda Dr., Myrtle Beach, SC 29572, (843)692-3750. Contemporary American. Located in the Marriott Beach Resort at the Grande Dunes. Upscale dining, with great ocean views.
- Rivertown Bistro – http://rivertownbistro.net - 1111 3rd Ave, Conway, SC 29526, (843)248-3733. Located in the Historic District of downtown Conway, Rivertown Bistro offers unmatched atmosphere and unequaled culinary fusions. The seasonal menu serves the best the local area has to offer.
- Rossi’s- http://rossismyrtlebeach.com - 9600 North Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572, (843)449-0481. Upscale Italian and Northern Italian cuisine with an extensive menu. 88's Piano Bar is a favorite late night spot for after dinner drinks and dancing.
- Sea Blue - www.seablueonline.com - 501 Hwy 17 N., North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582, (843)249-8800. Serves eclectic tapas dishes. Sophisticated, romantic interior.
- The Cypress Room – www.islandvista.com/dining - Island Vista Hotel, 6000 N. Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577. European influenced Low Country cuisine, accentuated with an ocean front view. The cuisine has earned rave reviews and prestigious local awards, and has cultivated a strong local following.
- The Library - http://thelibraryrestaurantsc.com -1212 N Kings Hwy., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577, (843)448-4527. Rare tableside service is a Library tradition, from the Steak Diane to the Flambé desserts. Reservations recommended.
- 21 on Main at North Beach – http://21mainatnorthbeach.com - Set in the Plantation House at North Beach Plantation, 719 N. Beach Blvd, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582, (843)315-3000. For over twenty-five years, Lovin' Oven Celebrations, Long Island's & Manhattan's premiere caterer, has built their reputation on superb cuisine, elegant locations and refined staff. Their newest venture, the elegant 21 Main Steakhouse, encompasses all these things.
- Anchor Café – www.grandedunes.com/amenities/dining_anchorcafe - Located at the Grande Dunes Marina just north of 82nd Parkway on Hwy. 17 Bypass North, (843)315-7855. Myrtle Beach’s best sunset vantage point. The Anchor Café offers picturesque views of the Intracoastal Waterway. This warm and lively bistro serves succulent burgers, along with a delicious selection of fresh salads, pastas and sandwiches.
- Benny Rappa's Trattoria - www.bennyrappas.com - 1453 Highway 17S, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582, (843)361-1056. Fine casual dining with a chalkboard style menu which changes daily. Everything is made fresh per order. Benny Rappa's Trattoria is small and quaint, just like your local home-style restaurant and seats only 60 people. Wonderful pasta, chicken, veal and fresh seafood dishes.
- Café Old Vienna - http://cafeoldvienna.com - 3901 N Kings Hwy # 5, Myrtle Beach, SC, (843)946-6252. Small Austrian cuisine with European cuisine. Charming atmosphere featuring an excellent lunch menu.
- Carolina Roadhouse - www.centraarchy.com/carolina-roadhouse - 4617 N Kings Hwy, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577, (843)497-9911. Enjoy thick-broiled steaks, baby back ribs, giant seafood platters, sandwiches, huge salads. Moderately priced.
- Chesnut Hill -www.chestnuthilldining.com-9922 N Kings Hwy., Myrtle Beach, SC 29572, (843)449-3984. Family-owned restaurant with an award-winning Sunday brunch. Extensive menu.
- Ciao! - www.ciaomyrtlebeach.com - 5223 North Kings Highway, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577, (843)449-5700. Authentic Italian cuisine. Fantastic food and excellent service found in an unassuming setting. A local favorite. (One of Anne and Mike’s favorites!)
- Filet’s - http://filetswaterfront.com - 2120 Sea Mountain Hwy, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582, (843)280-5200. Located on the Intercoastal Waterway. Wonderful surf, turf and sushi.
- Flamingo Grill - http://flamingogrill.com-71st Ave N, Myrtle Beach, SC, 29572, (843)449-5388. A Myrtle Beach icon that is family owned with a wide variety of select seafood and steaks; Art Deco.
- Hamburger Joe’s - www.hamburgerjoes.com - 712 48th Ave South, North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582, (843)272-6834. The name says it all! Great hamburgers, hot dogs, barbecue, french fries, onion rings and chicken wings. They also serve breakfast. This is a cash only restaurant, but they have an ATM on premises if you forget. If you want a good old fashioned burger, this is a must.
- Islamarada Fish Company -http://restaurants.basspro.com/FishCompany/MyrtleBeach-10177 N Kings Hwy., Myrtle Beach, SC 29572, (843)361-4700. Creative seafood and sushi restaurant. Restaurant also doubles as a wildlife museum and is beautifully decorated with fish, birds, and animals.
- Liberty Taproom - www.libertytaproom.com - 7651 N Kings Hwy., Myrtle Beach, SC 29572, (843)839-4677. Microbrewery with variety of food at reasonable prices. Happy Hour with drink and appetizer specials.
- Luigi’s - www.luigismyrtlebeach.com - 503 61st Ave N., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577, (843)497-7080. Authentic Italian cuisine with an extensive menu selection, from pasta to fresh seafood. Casual, fun ambiance.
- Mykonos - www.dinedrinkanddance.com - Located at Broadway at the Beach. 1002 29th Ave N, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577, (843)839-1965. Taking Italian cuisine, traditional Greek family recipes, and flame grilled steaks and seafood, they have been tantalizing the taste buds of locals and tourist alike. They can accommodate large groups and even have a dance floor.
- Rioz - www.rioz.com - 2920 Hollywood Dr., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577, (843)839-0777. Brazilian dining. One price includes 15 different cuts of beef, pork, lamb, poultry and fish. Also try the buffet bar with side items, cheeses, salad, breads, and sushi. Open only for dinner. Wonderfully entertaining experience. You will not leave hungry!
- Sea Captain’s House - http://seacaptains.com - 3002 N Ocean Blvd., Myrtle Beach, SC 29577, (843)448-8082. Oceanfront dining. A local’s choice…The food is fresh, served promptly and hot and seasoned to perfection. Don’t forget to try the she crab soup.
- Soho - www.sohosteakandseafood.com - 406 21st Ave N, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577, (843)443-9441. Japanese dining and sushi. Urban and modern atmosphere. Serves full menu until 1 a.m. A local hot spot.
- The Office an Italian Pub - http://theofficeitalianpub.homestead.com - 960 Lake Arrowhead Rd., Myrtle Beach, SC 29572, (843)839-9190. Very popular among the locals and Mike Kelly. Consistently good food with an attentive wait staff. WARNING…they allow Smoking and there are a lot of smokers.
- Market Commons Restaurants (Upscale outdoor shopping and dining complex):
- Divine Prime - http://divineprimerestaurant.com – (843)839-9790; Extremely upscale dining featuring U.S.D.A. Prime beef. Part of the Divine Dining Group. Excellent menu selections.
- Gordon Biersch - www.gordonbiersch.com/locations/myrtle-beach-sc - (843)839-0249; Fresh, hand crafted beer and premium, made from scratch food, all served in a fun and friendly atmosphere. Gordon Biersch boasts a seasonal menu tailored to each seasonal brew. This hip restaurant/brewery has quickly become a local’s favorite.
- P.F. Changs -www.pfchangs.com-(843)839-9470; Upscale Chinese cuisine blending classic Chinese design with a modern bistro look.
- Roy and Sid’s - (843)839-9770 Great family-oriented restaurant with a variety of items on the menu. Great Southern cuisine at a moderate price.
- Tommy Bahama Café - www.tommybahama.com/TBG/Stores_Restaurants/Myrtle_Beach.jsp - (843)839-1868; Eclectic with a tropical twist, offers a relaxed, elegant island ambience along with truly inspired cuisine.
- Travinia’s – http://traviniaitaliankitchen.com/travinia-myrtle-beach.php -(843)233-8500; Italian cuisine featuring generous portions and a beautiful bar setting.
Surrounding Areas (30 minutes + drive):
- Austin’s - www.austinsoceanone.com - 11359 Ocean Hwy., Pawley’s Island, SC 29585, (843)235-8700.Casual fine dining and contemporary cuisine. Featuring savory steaks and seafood entrees.
- Clarks Seafood and Chop House - http://clarksseafoodandchophouse.com - 720 Hwy 17 N, Little River, SC 29566, (843)399-8888. For many years the large restaurant was Umberto's, which specialized in Italian dishes. Now the name, owner and menu have changed, but it still has a fabulous view of Coquina Harbor and the dozens of yachts and boats docked there. The harbor is also home to the Governor's Lighthouse, a distinctive black and white lighthouse commissioned in 1984 that is dedicated to South Carolina governors.
- Frank’s and Frank’s Outback - http://franksandoutback.com - 10434 Ocean Hwy., Pawleys Island, SC 29585, (843)237-3030. This upscale restaurant features innovative cuisine prepared to order with the freshest, finest ingredients. Frank’s boasts an extensive wine selection. Reservations recommended. Frank's offers fine dining and Frank's Outback offers more casual, family dining.
- Hot Fish Club - www.hotfishclub.com - 4911 Highway 17 Business, Murrells Inlet, SC 29576, (843)357-9175. Breathtaking views of the marsh with an outside deck. Featuring fresh seafood, seafood and pasta. Seasonal outdoor tiki bar.
- Snooky’s - www.snookysonthewater.com - 4495 Baker St., Little River, SC 29566, (843)249-5252. Beautiful marsh views and fabulous seafood.
- The Brentwood Restaurant & Wine Bistro - http://thebrentwoodrestaurant.com - 4269 Luck Ave, Little River, SC 29566, (843)249-2601. Low Country French Cuisine serving Seafood, Continental, Bistro entrees created by a native French chef. Romantic dining scene in a beautifully restored Victorian home.
- The Parson’s Table - www.parsonstable.com - 4305 McCorsley Ave., Little River, SC 29566, (843)249-3702; Upscale restaurant located inside a quaint, old church building. Menu includes local fish to prime cut beef.
- Wahoo’s - www.wahoosbar.com - 3993 Highway 17 Business, Murrells Inlet, SC 29576, (843)357-2084. Wahoo's overlooks a salt marsh in beautiful Murrells Inlet. It features an open-air tiki bar and is known for special frozen concoctions and ice-cold beer.