The purpose of this Section shall be to promote the goals and objectives of the South Carolina Bar in the fields of law controlling or affecting the military community. Objectives include improving liaison between and professional education of the military and civilian communities, stimulating research and development, seeking uniformity in legislation and administration, and improving the application of justice in these fields of law.
1. Increase membership and participation within the Section.
2. Conduct S.C. Law for Military Attorneys Seminar.
3. Coordinate with LAMP Program to obtain assistance.
4. Provide support to JAG on-site conferences that may be held in S.C. throughout the year.
5. Publish a reference guide or smart book as a point of contact list.
6. Establish law school outreach.
7. Outreach to members with coin recognition.
8. Assist Veterans Administration to establish a Veterans Court in S.C.
9. Coordinate with the Veterans Legal Resource Committee to establish a Guardian ad Litem program for Veterans.
Volunteers Needed for Veterans Legal Clinic
S.C. Appleseed Legal Justice Center is partnering with the Veteran Justice Outreach Program at the Dorn VA Medical Center and members of the private bar to establish a Pro Bono Veterans Legal Clinic in Columbia for low-income veterans. The goal is to connect them with local attorneys who will provide one-on-one pro bono legal representation for specific issues. The clinic will meet once per month at the VA Dorn Medical Center starting in the spring/summer of 2014. The service areas for outreach include the following counties: Richland, Lexington, Sumter, Florence, Orangeburg, York, Anderson and Greenwood. Training will be provided to the volunteer attorneys (CLE credit will be available). For additional information, click here or contact Ashley Thomas at email@example.com or (803) 779-1113, ext. 113.
S.C. State Office of Veterans' Affairs
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Office of Service Member Affairs
S.C. NOVA Attorneys
Accredited VA Attorneys
February 27, 2014
(803) 799-6653, ext. 146