The purpose of this Section shall be to promote the goals and objectives of the South Carolina Bar in the fields of law controlling or affecting the military community. Objectives include improving liaison between and professional education of the military and civilian communities, stimulating research and development, seeking uniformity in legislation and administration, and improving the application of justice in these fields of law.
Institute membership and participation initiatives, including:
• Offering one free year of membership to all new Section members.
• Promoting participation within the Section at Bridge the Gap by distributing informational materials and making a presentation on the benefits of becoming a member of the Section.
• Coordinating socials with the USC School of Law and the Charleston School of Law.
• Recognizing new Section members with a customized military unit coin.
Support continuing education and professional development initiatives on initiatives relevant to military and veterans’ law by:
• Conducting a seminar on issues related to military and veterans’ law at the 2015 Bar Convention.
• Conducting a seminar in October of 2015 on S.C. Law for Military Attorneys.
• Continuing to provide financial support to JAG onsite conferences.
• Increasing awareness of the Bar’s Legal Assistance for Military Personnel “LAMP” program.
• Exploring online CLEs and distance learning programs.
Promote delivery of legal services in the area of military and veterans’ law, including:
• Encouraging and coordinating member participation in pro bono programs such as the S.C. Veterans Court, Veterans’ Stand Down for the Homeless program, and similar projects.
• Encouraging law schools to establish (reinstitute) Veterans’ Law Clinics.
Members of the Military & Veterans’ Law Section and the USC School of Law Service Members and Veterans in Law are invited to a Veterans Day Happy Hour. The event is scheduled for 6 p.m. on Thursday, November 13 at Thirsty Fellow, 621 Gadsden St., in Columbia. Please RSVP to email@example.com no later than November 7.
2015 Bar Convention
Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center
Section CLE: Thursday, Jan. 22, 1:30-4:45 p.m.
2015 Section CLE, Bar Conference Center, Friday, Oct. 2
Volunteers Needed for Veterans Legal Clinic
S.C. Appleseed Legal Justice Center is partnering with the Veteran Justice Outreach Program at the Dorn VA Medical Center and members of the private bar to establish a Pro Bono Veterans Legal Clinic in Columbia for low-income veterans. The goal is to connect them with local attorneys who will provide one-on-one pro bono legal representation for specific issues. The clinic will meet once per month at the VA Dorn Medical Center starting in the spring/summer of 2014. The service areas for outreach include the following counties: Richland, Lexington, Sumter, Florence, Orangeburg, York, Anderson and Greenwood. Training will be provided to the volunteer attorneys (CLE credit will be available). For additional information, click here or contact Ashley Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org or (803) 779-1113, ext. 113.
S.C. State Office of Veterans' Affairs
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Office of Service Member Affairs
S.C. NOVA Attorneys
Accredited VA Attorneys
(803) 799-6653, ext. 146