The Government Law Section Council met this date via conference call. Participating members included Jeremy L. Cook, Sandy Cruickshanks, Lawrence E. Flynn, III, Nancy Shealy, Robert R. Smith, II, Richard B. Thompkins, Timothy C. Winslow and Kimberly N. Wunder. Representing Bar staff was Tara G. Smith.
Chairperson Winslow called the meeting to order.
The first item of business was approval of the minutes from the March 8, 2012, meeting. Mr. Cruickshanks moved approval of the minutes. Mr. Flynn seconded the motion, and it was approved.
The next item of business was discussion on the 2013 Bar Convention scheduled for January 24-27 in Myrtle Beach. Mr. Smith stated that the Section seminar was scheduled for Friday, January 25th from 8:30 a.m. until 11:45 a.m. He provided a brief overview of the agenda.
Next, Mr. Winslow presented an update on the 2012 Section Midyear meeting. He announced that the 2013 program was scheduled for June 21st at the Bar Conference Center in Columbia. He was to solicit a volunteer to serve as the course planner.
Next was discussion on the FY2012-2013 Section goals. Mr. Winslow reviewed the FY2011-2012 goals and welcomed feedback from the Council. After discussion, the following goals were approved for the upcoming Bar year:
• Establish a periodic Government Law Section newsletter through the Section listserv and post on the Bar website.
• Sponsor a Section CLE at the 2013 Bar Convention.
• Continue to sponsor a mid-year meeting.
• Explore sponsorship opportunities with various organizations.
• Continue to survey Section membership for topics of interest for seminars and the newsletter as well as obtain information on various services the Section can provide to its members.
• Donate funds to the SC Bar Foundation. The amount to be determined by the Section Council.
• Reimburse registration fees, lodging, travel and a per diem for the Section Chair to attend up to two in-state conferences/seminars directly associated with or sponsored by the Section.
Mr. Cruickshanks expressed his desire for the Section to contribute funds to the SC Bar Foundation. He welcomed input from the Council. After discussion, the Council approved a donation of $3,000 to the Foundation. Mr. Winslow was to submit a letter to Ms. Smith to include with the Section’s contribution.
Next, Ms. Smith stated that articles were needed for the Section newsletter and noted that the last issue was released over a year ago. Mr. Winslow encouraged members to submit articles.
In closing was discussion on the FY2013-2014 Council vacancies. Ms. Smith announced that two general Council member seats would become vacant on June 30, 2013. She was to solicit recommendations through the Section listserv.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.