Consumer Law Section
August 18, 2009
877-797-2227 Ext. 390
Members Present: Staff:
Thomas Lydon, Chair Dana Kurtz
1. Call to Order
Chairman Lydon welcomed everyone and called the meeting to order.
2. Approval of December 17, 2008 Minutes
A motion was made and seconded to approve the December 17, 2008, minutes and was passed by acclamation.
3. Section Balance - $3231.27 (as of June 30, 2009)
4. Approval of Goals FY2009-2010
The following goals were approved for 2009-2010:
1. Provide volunteers to work with the Bankruptcy Court and the schools to provide much-needed information to the students about credit use and abuse.
2. Develop relationships with consumer law professors at USC. Coordinate a CLE for the Consumer Law Section and the law professors.
3. Continue to offer education to the Bar conducting CLE’s at the South Carolina
4. Look at consumer law information currently available to the public to determine if there are issues that are not being addressed and if so establish ways of providing education to the public.
5. Work with the South Carolina Bar as they begin to develop their foreclosure
counseling and assistance project and to make the information known to
our membership and encourage volunteers.
5. Speakers for Seminar at Annual Meeting
Mr. Lydon and Mr. Maxfield reported on the upcoming Consumer Law Seminar that was to be presented at the Annual Bar Convention on January 21, 2010:
Update on Case Law and Legislation ??" speaker Ms. Lybarker
Current Issues in Residential Foreclosure Proceedings ??" Lender’s Perspective - speaker Mr. Hearn
Current Issues in Residential Foreclosure Proceedings ??" Borrower’s Perspective ??" speaker Ms. Berkowitz
Ethical Issues for Consumer Law Practitioners ??" speaker Mr. Lydon
6. New Business
The Council approved covering the cost of brochures on Foreclosure and Bankruptcy that the SC Appleseed Legal Justice Center was to produce. The expected cost was not to exceed $600. The brochure was to be distributed through the Bar and Legal Services. Ms. Berkowitz was to provide a copy of the brochure to the Council via email.
7. Next Meeting
Next meeting was set for November 17, 2009 at noon.
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned.