"Aging Gracefully: Preparing for the Road Ahead" coming to the Midlands
July 16, 2014
COLUMBIA, S.C. (July 16, 2014)—Did you know: the fastest growing segment of South Carolina’s population is age 65 and older? The South Carolina Bar, S.C. Medical Association and S.C. Coalition for the Care of the Seriously Ill are holding the inaugural conference, Aging Gracefully: Preparing for the Road Ahead, to address the concerns facing South Carolina’s elderly, their families and their caregivers. The event will take place on Thursday, Aug. 21, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Brookland Baptist Church Conference Center located at 1066 Sunset Blvd. in W. Columbia.
The conference will focus on the legal, medical and social issues associated with aging and help South Carolinians recognize these issues so they can plan for their futures and make intelligent, informed choices. Some of the topics to be addressed include:
· Paying for Long Term Care—Explore options like long-term care insurance, reverse mortgages, VA Aid and Attendance, and Medicaid.
· What To Expect When You’re Expecting … to Age—Compare the “normal” signs of aging with those associated with the most common forms of dementia.
· Life Transitions: Speed Bumps and Potholes—Learn how to navigate illness, sick parents, marriage, divorce and more.
· Where There’s A Will, There’s A Way: Getting Your Documents In Order—Information on wills, trusts, health care powers of attorney, living wills and financial powers of attorney.
· How To Be A Good Patient: Working With Your Doctor—Tips on how to get more out of your doctor visits, including understanding medications, Internet sources of information and the health care system.
· If It Sounds Too Good To Be True: Scams and Identity Theft—Learn to recognize red flags and protect your identity and financial resources.
· Guardianships/Conservatorships: Why and How?—Information about the legal process, qualifications and obligations related to guardianships and conservatorships.
· End-of-Life: Why Do We Make It So Hard?—Explore end-of-life issues and the importance of having a discussion with your family.
· Gizmos and Gadgets for Independent Living—Information on the S.C. Assistive Technology Program, including the device loan program and the equipment reuse program.
· Everything You Wanted To Know About Getting Old But Were Afraid To Ask … Almost—A question-and-answer session with a panel of professionals.
Vendors from the senior care industry will also be present to answer questions and provide additional information and resources. The deadline to register is Aug. 14, and the cost to attend is $10 (which includes coffee, snacks and lunch for each attendee).
For more information or to register online, visit www.scbar.org/aginggracefully. For questions, contact Cindy Coker at (803) 799-6653, ext. 142 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The South Carolina Bar, which has a membership of more than 15,000 lawyers, is dedicated to advancing justice, professionalism and understanding of the law.