April 29, 2014
The South Carolina Retirement System Investment Commission (“Commission”) seeks an experienced attorney to join the Commission’s legal staff.
The Commission, as a fiduciary for the South Carolina Retirement Systems, is responsible for investing and managing approximately $28 billion of trust fund assets. The Commission invests globally and manages a highly diversified and complex portfolio. Business partners include a number of the world’s leading investment firms and service providers. The Commission’s offices are located in the heart of downtown Columbia, near the State House, the University of South Carolina’s campus, and the Vista.
Duties - The attorney’s responsibilities may include:
• Preparing, negotiating, and closing investment and other related contracts.
• Conducting legal research in connection with investment transactions, and supporting the Commission in discharging its administrative, risk management, compliance and other responsibilities.
• Assisting the Commission’s legal team with other ad hoc and ongoing projects.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities -
• Significant experience working with contracts and other complex business agreements is required.
• Experience in public finance, corporate finance, securities law, tax law and/or representation of institutional investors or other participants in the capital markets (e.g., private equity funds, banks, insurance companies) is helpful.
• A high level of proficiency in utilizing Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook calendar/email, etc.) and Adobe Acrobat Professional is preferred.
• Attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and excellent communication skills are imperative.
• Must be a member, in good standing, with the South Carolina Bar, or otherwise legally eligible to practice law in South Carolina.
Salary - Competitive salary based on attorney’s experience and qualifications. This position is a full time position.
To apply for the Legal Counsel position, please submit a cover letter and resume to the attention of Robert Feinstein, Chief Legal Officer, South Carolina Retirement System Investment Commission, 1201 Main Street, Suite 1510, Columbia, SC 29201 by May 12, 2014.