Paralegal and HR Coordinator
December 13, 2012
POSITION: Paralegal and HR Coordinator
COMPANY: Johnson Development Associates, Inc.
LOCATION: South Carolina (Spartanburg)
About the Company:
Founded in 1986 by George Dean Johnson, Jr. and Foster Chapman, Johnson Development Associates, Inc. (JDA) is a well-capitalized and privately held company headquartered in Spartanburg, South Carolina. JDA pursues a streamlined and disciplined approach to selecting real estate sites and managing the development of its apartment communities and large scale build-to-suit industrial projects. JDA has solely developed twenty-five separate industrial parks, eleven apartment complexes, and numerous free standing retail and office facilities across the southeast. For more information about the Company, please visit our website at http://johnsondevelopment.net/
About the Position:
As paralegal, this position supports General Counsel by drafting and proofreading legal documents; assisting with the management of all contracts for the organization; assisting with general corporate governance and transactional closings. As HR Coordinator, position supports General Counsel and CFO in assessing personnel policies, programs, and procedures, and informs employee and management personnel on the interpretation of them. Performs professional level human resources work and carries out responsibilities in one or more functional areas, such as, staffing, employee relations, compensation, training, employment, labor relations, safety, affirmative action and employment equity programs, personnel research and the securing and maintenance of medical insurance for the company and property and liability coverage for the company. This role will also work with and have the assistance of an HR Consultant. We offer a positive and challenging work environment with competitive salary and benefits package which includes medical, dental, life and disability insurance, and 401k.
For consideration mail your resume to:
Johnson Development Associates, Inc.
Attn: General Counsel
P.O. Box 3524
Spartanburg, SC 29304
If we are interested in interviewing a candidate, JDA will contact the candidate. Please do not contact JDA outside of mailing the resume to the address listed above.
Candidate must have a four year bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution and at least one year of experience as a paralegal OR Candidate must have a two year degree/equivalent and 4 years of applicable experience.
3-5 years of paralegal experience in transactional or employment law.
The ideal candidate will have excellent organizational skills, outstanding attention to detail, strong communication and problem solving skills, proficient computer skills, and previous paralegal experience. Must be able to perform in a fast paced environment.
• Aids in the preparation of contractual provisions and the administration of contract proposals.
• Responsible for preparing proposals and contractual provisions.
• Assists in managing all contracts for organization.
• Provides assistance in all aspects of corporate governance including, but not limited to, managing regulatory reporting on a national basis.
• Assists in transactional closings.
• May handle a wide variety of situations and conflicts involving the administrative function of the office.
• Proofread legal documents.
• Drafts legal documents and correspondence.
• Schedules meetings/conferences with all parties.
• Initiates follow-up telephone calls.
• Implements and maintains various filing systems.
• Responsible for confidential and time sensitive material.
• Prepares routine and advanced correspondence including letters, memoranda, and reports.
• Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
• A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
• Responsible for benefits and selected HR administration – set-up new hires (e.g. personnel file, payroll system, security badge), leave administration, terminations, benefits claims, initiate FMLA claims (if applicable) and monitoring absences; plan enrollments, allowable changes and terminations
• Administers job posting policy to ensure qualified candidates are provided opportunity for transfer and promotion through a fair, non-discriminatory process. Prepares and submits reports as necessary
• Conducts employee orientation program as needed
• Advises management on performance issues and ensures proper documentation of performance related issues
• Coordinates pay rate changes and wage deductions and remittances for payroll
• Partners with Legal Counsel, CFO, and HR Consultant in the administration and development of compensation programs and incentive plans
• Serves as company liaison with 401k and medical insurance brokers
• Maintains proper personnel forms, reports and records to comply with legal requirements
• Ensures data in the internal database system is accurate and complete at all times
• Communicates HR policies to ensure compliance with all federal and state laws and regulations
• Facilitates responses to employee relations issues with the assistance of an HR Consultant and, ensures proper and accurate documentation and provides employee counseling in response to situations as they arise
• Monitors unemployment and worker’s compensation claims and supports management in handling hearings and appeals as needed. Coordinates work between employee and worker’s compensation insurance carrier to support cost containment and timely return to work
• Maintains inventory of up-to-date job descriptions for all positions
• Coordinates wellness and medical initiatives (e.g. flu clinic), drug testing and background checking program
• Acts as a company liaison with all carriers, vendors, auditors, government officials and providers to ensure program and plan requirements are monitored and being met satisfactorily
• Participates in the development of department plans and goals in support of annual objectives
• Maintains organizational charts, employee records and all other HR files and data in a secure and orderly location
• Provides guidance to supervisors in counseling their employees, and escalates concerns to either the HR Consultant or General Counsel as appropriate.
Johnson Development Associates, Inc. is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.