S.C. Bar House of Delegates to meet May 16
May 09, 2013
COLUMBIA, S.C. (May 9, 2013) —The South Carolina Bar will hold its House of Delegates meeting Thursday, May 16, at 1 p.m. at the Sand Dunes Club on Sullivan’s Island.
During its meeting, the House is expected to debate:
• a request from the Task Force on Professional Liability Options to alter the Bar’s endorsed professional liability insurance provider;
• a request from the Practice and Procedure Committee to amend Rule 37 regarding sanctions for failure to make or cooperate in discovery;
• a request from the Practice and Procedure Committee to amend Rule 17 of the S.C. Family Court Rules;
• a request from the Professional Responsibility Committee regarding Rule 1.6, Confidentiality of Information; and
• proposed Bar budgets for 2013-14.
The House will also elect members of the Bar’s Nominating Committee. Outgoing President Angus H. Macaulay will address the House, and incoming President Alice F. Paylor will present goals for the coming year. The Young Lawyer of the Year and Law Related Education Lawyer of the Year awards will be presented, and graduates of the Bar’s Leadership Academy will be recognized. In addition, a special award will be presented to Hon. John E. Waites of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for his outstanding leadership in the provision of pro bono services.
At the conclusion of the meeting, the following 2013-14 Bar President and officers will be sworn into office by S.C. Supreme Court Chief Justice Jean H. Toal.
President: Alice F. Paylor, Charleston
President-Elect: J. Calhoun Watson, Columbia
Treasurer: Anne S. Ellefson, Greenville
Secretary: Leah B. Moody, Rock Hill
Board Members: Rudolph C. Barnes Jr., Little Mountain; Shaheena R. Bennett, Moncks Corner; R. Scott Dover, Pickens; Lynsey T. Kmetz, Greenville; Floyd S. “Trey” Mills III, Anderson; Julie Jeffords Moose, Florence; J. Preston Strom, Columbia
ABA State Bar Delegate: Fred W. Suggs Jr., Greenville
The South Carolina Bar, which has a membership of more than 14,000 lawyers, is dedicated to advancing justice, professionalism and understanding of the law.
Reporter/Producer Note: Please contact Leigh Thomas at email@example.com if you plan to attend so that we can plan accordingly. An advance copy of the meeting agenda with supporting materials is available upon request.