Concealed Weapons Permit and CLE Training Course
presented by the
South Carolina Bar-Continuing Legal Education Division
Saturday, May 31, 2014
S.C. Bar Conference Center, Columbia
(+$5) To reserve a firearm
2.0 MCLE credit hours
Attendance is limited to 30 participants!
About the Program
The South Carolina Bar CLE Division and Threat Suppression, Inc. are pleased to present a unique opportunity for you to earn 2.0 hours of CLE credit, while also obtaining your South Carolina Concealed Weapons Permit.
Now in its fourth year, the course is taught by three of the most eminent firearms instructors in the Midlands with more than 50 years of collective experience teaching CWP courses.
The course is appropriate for beginner shooters, as well as those with firearms experience. The tactical portion of the course provides step-by-step procedures for safe gun handling and successful target acquisition. For students with firearms experience it provides a good review plus opportunity to learn and practice several tactics for shooting from concealment. Loaner firearms are available for a $5 charge for non-gun owners, and ammunition for most standard firearms may be purchased on-site for $20 per box (call 803-576-3780 for details and exclusions).
The classroom portion will be at the S.C. Bar Conference Center, this phase will include comprehensive instruction on gun safety and handling, video presentations on personal protection in the home, a review of federal and state regulations governing firearms in general and S.C. concealed carry laws in particular including recent S.C. case law.
The course fee includes fingerprinting, target media, use of safety gear, SLED mandated testing, and official training certificates, as well as an in-class review of the entire SLED application process required to obtain a CWP. Following the morning classroom portion of the program, participants will complete their training at a private range to which driving directions will be provided.
What You Will Learn:
Basics of pistol shooting
Trigger finger etiquette
How to safely load and unload different types of handguns
Specific firearms nomenclature
Sighting techniques and marksmanship
How to carry, draw, and holster your pistol from concealment
How to disassemble, clean, store, and transport your pistol in accordance with SC Law
**Continental breakfast and a box lunch are included**
8:00 a.m. Registration (SC Bar Conference Center)
9:00 a.m. Introductions, Course Overview, Fingerprint Briefings (Mandatory for all Participants), Firearm Safety Briefing Basics of Pistol Safety, Firearm Nomenclature and Shooting Fundamentals.
10:00 a.m. Break
10:15 a.m. NRA Personal Protection Videos, South Carolina CWP Statutory and Case Law/Class Discussion:
Use of Deadly Force and/Self Defense Laws of Concealed Carry
Defense of Property and Citizen’s Arrest
12:45 p.m. Lunch - on Site
1:15 p.m. SLED CWP Written Test Review; SLED CWP Written Test
2:15 p.m. Depart to Firing Range in Red Bank (directions provided)
3:00 p.m. (Firing Range) Weapons Inspection and Range Briefing, Safety Gear Issued
3:15 p.m. Dry-Fire Drills and Practice Course of Fire
4:15 p.m. Break
4:30 p.m. CWP Course of Fire
5:00 p.m. Collection and Scoring of Targets (70% Minimum Score)
5:30 p.m. Debriefing, Presentation of Certificates and Adjourn
*****IMPORTANT: Do Not Bring Firearms or Ammunition into the Classroom*****
EQUIPMENT YOU WILL NEEP TO BRING TO CLASSROOM
1. NOTEPAD AND BLACK PEN
2. COPY OF SLED CWP APPLICATION -MAY BE OBTAINED AND FILLED
EQUIPMENT YOU WILL NEED TO WEAR OR BRING TO RANGE
1. BALLCAP,SUNVISOR OR HAT WITH BRIM
2. SUNGLASSES OR PRESCRIPTION EYEGLASSES (IF APPLICABLE)
3. CASUAL LIGHTWEIGHT SHIRT WITH COLLAR (RECOMMENDED
4. COMFORTABLE SHOES (NO OPEN TOE OR HIGH HEEL SHOES)
5. OUTER GARMENT-A LIGHTWEIGHT SHIRT OR OUTER JACKET PREFERRED-WILL BE USED FOR SHOOTING FROM CONCEALMENT
6. BELT SLIDE TYPE HOLSTER WITH TRIGGER GUARD
7. PANTS WITH STURDY BELT LOOPS (CARGO PANTS PREFERRED)
8. HANDGUN OF AT LEAST.380 CALIBER (R~COMMENDED)
9. 100 ROUNDS OF NEWLY MANUFACTURED FULL METAL JACKET TARGET AMMUNITION -(NOTE: SOFT NOSED LEAD BULLETS, WAD CUTTERS, SEMI WAD CUTTERS, RELOADS, OR MILITARY SURPLUS AMMUNITION ARE NOT PERMITTED ON THE RANGE)
10. TWO (2) MAGAZINES (PISTOLS) OR SPEED LOADER (REVOLVERS)
EQUIPMENT AND SERVICES PROVIDED FOR YOU-CLASSROOM
1. INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS
2. CWP APPLICATION FORMS (IF NOT OBTAINED PRIOR TO COURSE)
3. PROCEDURAL GUIDELINES FOR COMPLETING THE SLED CWP APPLICATION
4. FIREARMS SAFETY RULES AND PRE-RANGE BRIEFING
5. FINGERPRINT CARDS, CARD COMPLETION INSTRUCTIONS AND FINGERPRINTING
6. TESTING MATERIALS AND PRE-TEST REVIEW
EQUIPMENT AND SERVICES PROVIDED FOR YOU AT THE RANGE
l. LOANER WEAPON IF NEEDED ($5.00 USER FEE)
2. LOANER HOLSTER IF NEEDED (NO CHARGE)
3. AMMUNITION IF NEEDED ($20.00 PER 50 ROUND BOX)
4. LOANER MAGAZINES FOR PISTOLS (NO CHARGE)
5. HEARING AND EYE PROTECTION (NO CHARGE)
5. TARGETS AND TARGET STANDS-(NO CHARGE)
6. WEAPONS SAFETY INSPECTION FOR ALL FIREARMS USED IN THE COURSE
7. SAFE WEAPON HANDLING AND DRY FIRE DRILLS PRIOR TO RANGE TEST
8. RANGE INSTRUCTORS AND RANGE SAFETY OFFICERS
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS
PLEASE DO NOT BRING ANY FIREARMS OR AMMUNITION INTO THE CLASSROOM
PORTION OF THE COURSE. YOU WILL BE INSTRUCTED WHEN TO RETRIEVE YOUR WEAPON AFTER ARRIVAL AT THE RANGE.
PLEASE ADVISE OF ANY MEDICAL CONDITIONS OR SPECIAL ACCOMODATIONS NEEDED AT REGISTRATION. YOU WILL BE OUTDOORS FOR APPROXIMATELY TWO HOURS DURING THIS COURSE. FIRST AID AND TRAINED EMERGENCY PERSONNEL WILL BE ON SITE.
All registrations must be pre-paid. All registrations must include a credit card number
Cancellation & Refund Policy: Refunds, less $25.00 administrative processing fee, will be made for cancellations received in writing to SC Bar-CLE Division at email@example.com by 5 pm one week prior to the seminar. If you register but do not cancel by 5 pm one week before or register but do not attend, you will receive the course materials in consideration of payment. Designated substitutes may take the place of registrants unable to attend.