The Commission on Judicial Independence and Impartiality was created to provide appropriate and timely responses to criticism of judges and courts. The Commission consists of five public members who have never been licensed to practice law in any jurisdiction and who are not government employees and three members who are practicing lawyers or full-time professors at the University of South Carolina School of Law.
The responsibilities of the Commission are to:
• respond to unjust criticism when rules of conduct prevent response by those subject to the criticism;
• address errors or inaccuracies in reporting criticism of judges and courts;
• act as a resource for obtaining unbiased information concerning the judicial process;
• encourage dissemination of information to the public about noteworthy achievements and improvements within the justice system; and
• seek a better understanding of the roles of judges and lawyers.
M. Dawes Cooke Jr.
P.O. Drawer H
Charleston, SC 29402-0197
(803) 799-6653, ext. 161