ELDER LAW COMMITTEE
June 5, 2009, 12:00 noon
Luncheon Meeting at SC Bar Building
Chair: Kathryn Cook DeAngelo, Esq.
Members Present: Staff:
Kathryn DeAngelo, Chair Dana Kurtz
O. Allen Jeffcoat
Marcia Powell Shew
I. Welcome and Call to Order
Chairperson DeAngelo welcomed everyone and called the meeting to order at 12:20 p.m.
II. Approval of May 1, 2009, Minutes
A motion was made and seconded to approve the May 1, 2009, minutes and was passed by acclamation.
III. Excel ELC Subcommittee Reports
Roger Jellenik submitted a written report on the G/C Subcommittee:
1. A preliminary draft set of G/C process flowcharts was prepared by Cat Angus and was circulated for review in advance of the next subcommittee meeting scheduled for June 19, 2009.
2. The Probate Court Mediation Pilot: The ADR Commission was recommending adoption of mediation as an additional tool for dispute resolution in the Probate Court. Pending the legislative action required, in the interim, the pilot was to continue.
3. Commission on the Elderly in the Probate Court: a proposed slate of members for the proposed Commission on the Elderly in the Courts was submitted to the administrative office of the courts.
Public Service/ Education Subcommittee
There was no report at this time.
Ms. Millender gave the report for the CLE Subcommittee:
1. August 7, 2009 the Elder Law Committee was to co-sponsor a full day CLE with the South Carolina Hospital Association. Four doctors and four lawyers were to speak on the topic “Common Goals: Doctors and Lawyers Working Together”. The seminar was to be held at the Hospital Association building in Columbia.
2. The Elder Law Committee was to co-sponsor a seminar with the Probate Estate Planning & Trust Section at the 2010 SC Bar Convention on Thursday afternoon and another seminar on Friday afternoon.
The Committee discussed various topics of interest for future “Lunch and Learn” meetings. Some of the topics discussed were: health and human services, third party recovery, basic Medicaid.
Probate Code Overhaul
Ms. Kennedy reported that the subgroups had been meeting regularly and doing an excellent job.
No report at this time.
IV. PET Excel Legislative Spreadsheet
Ms. DeAngelo provided the Committee with the Probate Estate Planning & Trust Section Legislative spreadsheet and gave a brief report.
V. Other Business ??" New and Old
There was no new or old business.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:40 p.m.